Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Ubuntu 8.04 Release

Does anyone know the time that Ubuntu will be available to download in Australian time?
    Last edited by Ghost_Dog; April 23rd, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Release

Ubuntu usually releases around 18:00 UTC (not sure what that is in Australia).
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Dog View Post
    Does anyone know the time that Ubuntu will be available to download in Australian time?
    Hi there and welcome!

There is no 'set' time for the release to be available!! It's there when 'they' have everything in place!

Beans

Whatever time it is - it will be very busy for the first few hours - might be worth waiting a day or so - I know that's what I will be doing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Daveg4otu View Post
    Whatever time it is - it will be very busy for the first few hours - might be worth waiting a day or so - I know that's what I will be doing.
    One trick I do is just to download the daily build iso the day before the release and just use the update-manager to update to final the next day.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I thought it was 12:00 UTC

And use BitTorrent to download the ISOs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hmmm... maybe I'll wait it out till this weekend

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    And use BitTorrent to download the ISOs
    Presumably the particular torrent file will become available when the released iso files are also released and on mirrors?

I wondered if I could get the final 8.04 torrent file *early*, and just leave it running - the tracker will update every half hour and presumably be invalid until at least one person starts - and the torrent process will take care of itself (?)

Is there some flaw in this cunning plan? Apart from the fact that the desired torrent is not actually there yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmmm, how many package updates can there be between RC and final release? I beta tested 8.04LTS and two days later was a full upgrade, I can't imagine the daily build (RC) I d/l'd (haven't gotten around to testing it) yesterday would have that many...

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by candtalan View Post
    Presumably the particular torrent file will become available when the released iso files are also released and on mirrors?

I wondered if I could get the final 8.04 torrent file *early*, and just leave it running - the tracker will update every half hour and presumably be invalid until at least one person starts - and the torrent process will take care of itself (?)

Is there some flaw in this cunning plan? Apart from the fact that the desired torrent is not actually there yet?
    Yes - the .torrent file contains a hash of all the parts of the .iso - the soonest the .torrent can be created is after the .iso is hashed.

Although, you can probably guess as to what the file name is going to be - and queue up a download (resumable downloader) and have your favorite torrent app scanning that folder...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast