Thread: Virtual hosting

Beans

Virtual hosting

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 6.05.3 drake server amd64
    Apache2

I'm prepared testing virtual hosting but I have only one registered domain and one public IP. I will register 2/3 free subdomain for this test. However I'm not going to subscribe additional public IP.

Can I do the test with only one public IP? If YES please advise which document will be relevant for me to follow as a guide. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Virtual hosting

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi folks,

Ubuntu 6.05.3 drake server amd64
    Apache2

I'm prepared testing virtual hosting but I have only one registered domain and one public IP. I will register 2/3 free subdomain for this test. However I'm not going to subscribe additional public IP.

Can I do the test with only one public IP? If YES please advise which document will be relevant for me to follow as a guide. TIA

B.R.
    satimis
    yes. you will just need to setup virtual sites in apache by creating new conf files in /etc/apache2/sites-available then enabling them with a2ensite <configfile_name>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Virtual hosting

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Yes, the whole point of virtual hosting is to share an IP among several domains. The URL header is analyzed by apache and it loads the pages from the directory root you specify for that domain.