Thread: GDM Resolution & Appearence Issue

Beans

GDM Resolution & Appearence Issue

(using GNOME. Have restricted nVidia drivers installed and working properly. AMD processor)

I've been pretty much been able to solve (or configure, whenever necessary) all the issues that I came across. For a complete newbie like myself, I think that's good enough. However, for this particular issue, I cannot find straightforward solution.

It appears that the GDM cannot save the settings. No matter which themes I choose, and no matter what resolution I set, it always goes back to default. I don't mind the themes much, but sometimes with the resolution it doesn't let me change it back once logged in, forcing me to restart to fix the issue.

I'd rather not remove resolutions from the conf file. I mean, I'm pretty confident I'll be using the one I have for a long time if not forever, but you never know.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GDM Resolution & Appearence Issue

If it's a case of the gdm resolution being wrong, the fix for me was to add a "virtual" line to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file just before the "modes" and make it match my native resolution.

Code:
    SubSection "Display"
    virtual 1024 768
    modes "1024x768" "800x600"
    .EndSubSection
    note there is no "x" in the virtual line, nor quotes.

Does this help?
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Re: GDM Resolution & Appearence Issue

Hmm, that's weird. My xorg.conf file does not have a display section. I guess that would explain the issues.

Thanks for the info.