Thread: Battlezone II woes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Battlezone II woes

Battlezone II: Combat Commander installed fine, and it patched fine to 1.3. However, when I start the program, a black screen comes up and the following error message appears:

Can't start hardware accelerated Direct3D 8.

Then, it gives a URL for the latest DirectX. I have searched the AppDB and it works pretty well, just not for me. Terminal output is as follows:

Code:
    critta@CRITTAC:/media/My Book/Games/Battlezone II/The Game$ wine bzone.exe 
    err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on ATI IXP Modem, disabling mixer
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x229e73c,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:d3d:test_pbo_functionality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from Loading the PBO test texture
     @ directx.c / 3413
    err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_QueryInterface (0x344ef28) The App is requesting a D3D device, but a non-OpenGL surface type was choosen. Prepare for trouble!
    err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_QueryInterface  (0x344ef28) You may want to contact wine-devel for help
    fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
    err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
    Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Battlezone II woes

Code:
    fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
    err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
    It looks like it is trying to go from 32bit color to 16bit color but is failing. Maybe this is a bug specific to your graphics vendor.
    You can probably try going into the wine configuration (winecfg) and choose emulate a virtual desktop (under the graphics section.) That works for me when there you can't change your X resolution to accommodate a wine game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well now it starts, but once I get past the intro movie (which runs very slowly) I see a screen that is mostly black and does not respond. That is another problem.

Code:
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateAdditionalSwapChain The app requests more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if possible
    fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Acquire Clipping cursor to (0,0)-(640,480)
    fixme:d3d:state_subpixel Render state WINED3DRS_SUBPIXEL not implemented yet
    fixme:d3d:state_mipmaplodbias Render state WINED3DRS_MIPMAPLODBIAS not implemented yet
    Last edited by petzworld999; April 23rd, 2008 at 04:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I reinstalled, and it runs smoother, but I can still only see part of the screen. I have attached a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images