Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [solved]NVIDIA driver problems

Beans

Re: [solved]NVIDIA driver problems

This guide worked for me I had no problems whatsoever. Hopefully those that are experiencing difficulties can get them resolved soon as well.

I did have a quick question though: when a new kernel is released, will those who used this guide have to re-install the driver? ...and do we use the same method?

I'm a new user and just trying to think ahead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Novega View Post
    This guide worked for me I had no problems whatsoever. Hopefully those that are experiencing difficulties can get them resolved soon as well.

I did have a quick question though: when a new kernel is released, will those who used this guide have to re-install the driver? ...and do we use the same method?

I'm a new user and just trying to think ahead
    Good point. More importantly, will the nvidia drivers update themselves automatically?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They don't update themselves automatically.

You will have to reinstall the driver everytime the kernel is updated (often by the security repo)

So, if after a kernel update everything breaks, don't panic, just execute the .run again.

When a new version of ubuntu comes and you want to update, make sure to uninstall nvidia's driver first.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Azraelthe7th View Post
    It says that my build-essential package is the newest, and it still can't find a precompiled kernel. So, no 9600 GT on Hardy for me yet.
    Are you sure you downloaded the beta nvidia drivers for the 9 series? And i'm envious my graphic cards both in my PC and in my laptop are low-end
    Last edited by lswest; May 1st, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks mate! Worked a treat on my 9600GT!

Beans

So like I said, this worked 100% perfect for me on my 32 bit Ubuntu system

BUT ... Now I'm setting up a x64 (K)ubuntu system (with KDE4, if it makes any difference?), following this guide exactly isn't gonna work I don't think.

So how would I change the commands to suit a x64 KDE build ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think it should probably work as long as you download the 64 nvidia driver.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I think it should probably work as long as you download the 64 nvidia driver.
    ok cool, so instead of "gdm stop" do I use "kdm stop" b/c it's kde and not gnome?

Beans

Thanks for the howto enthrall

As an aside, I've installed nvidia proprietary drivers before without hassle, but this time for some reason the nvidia installer errored saying I didn't have the libc development headers installed and wouldn't work (Fresh install of Hardy Heron).

If this happens to you, just stay in your Ctrl+Alt+F1 prompt and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
    That will install libc6 and libc6-dev (about 14MB worth to download I think), after which you can run the nvidia installer again successfully.
    Don't forget to edit /etc/defaults/linux-restricted-modules-common as described in the first post.

Thanks!

Beans

This worked without a hitch for the GeForce 9800 GTX aswell.

I recently got hold of a 9800GTX, and a couple of days after I decided to completely switch over to Ubuntu and nuke my Windows partition

Initially, I had problems installing this nVidia beta driver, because I was missing the last step (the step where you start-up the x-server again, and edit a config-file before rebooting), which the OP describes in the how-to.

So.. thx alot for this howto, and I'm thrilled to say I'm not going back to vista
    Last edited by zr0gee; May 19th, 2008 at 08:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast