Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [solved]NVIDIA driver problems

Beans

[solved]NVIDIA driver problems

Im am a complete newbie to linux just so you know and I think its great so far. I've been on the edge of giving up and just booting back into vista but I've finally solved my problem and I'd like to share with others that may have the same problem. So far its maybe taken me ~6 hours to figure out. Its was like re-inventing the wheel. But besides that.

I have the geforce 9600 gt so I used the beta drivers which are out i think 173.08. heres my guide:

1. intall the driver from the internet <--edit sorry i didnt make it clear.
    just go to the site you get your driver from.

2. press ctrl+alt+f1

3. you have some options. you can log into root, use su command just su then log into root or you can use sudo before your commands. Its not that hard. For example when it asks for my username i type root then for password my root password. You can edit this in system--->admin--->users and groups. and just change the pass to what ever you want.

4. Next step is to type the following go ahead and use sudo for good measures. But if your logged into root I dont think its needed. Im a newb so dont flame.command - sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    this will stop the x server which is basically the gui. Correct me if im wrong.

5. next is to get a kernal. My problem was when I was installing the first time it said the kernal module was missing. so type- sudo apt-get install update
    the type- sudo apt-get install build-essentials
    Worked for me but I really dont know what it does or what a kernal is even for. I'd like to know so could someone enlighten me?

6. next is to run the driver. type- sh '/**/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run'

** depends on your file location. for example mine was
    sh '/home/enthrall/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run'

7. follow the instructions on screen. say yes to every thing. YES

8. when its done type- sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

9. once logged back in do the following. this is a very important step do not miss or you will have to re install on next boot which was my
    problem.

go to applications then terminal and type- nano /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    go down the page where is says something like DISABLED_MODULES= ""
    In between the quotations type nv and save this. To use the commands at the bottom use the ctrl key with the letter example- ^c-cancel
    you would press ctrl c. When you do this it asks if you want to save this type y and press enter. Then press enter again and restart the system. VOILÀ it should be working now.
    Last edited by Enthrall; April 23rd, 2008 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

Re: [solved]NVIDIA driver problems

Thank you so much for posting this. I've been having a tough time with my 9800gtx. Right now I'm doing a fresh install of 8.04 then I'll try your method. One question though. In step one what patch are you talking about?

Beans

oh sorry I didnt make that clear. I edited it. It should say install your driver from the internet. Nivdia website. Oh if yours is the nvidia 9 series go to nvidia and make sure to install the latest beta driver for the 9 series.

Beans

It works
    TY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, I tried using your guide, but I can't even get "build-essentials". Running Hardy Heron.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Excellent guide, I've finally got the Nvidia driver working now

Once fix though, it's supposed to be:

sudo apt-get install build-essential , not build-essentials. There's not 's' at the end

Also, just so you know, you can run the build-essential line from the terminal before any other step.
    Last edited by zhinker; April 28th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Beans

worked perfect, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by zhinker View Post
    Excellent guide, I've finally got the Nvidia driver working now

Once fix though, it's supposed to be:

sudo apt-get install build-essential , not build-essentials. There's not 's' at the end

Also, just so you know, you can run the build-essential line from the terminal before any other step.
    It says that my build-essential package is the newest, and it still can't find a precompiled kernel. So, no 9600 GT on Hardy for me yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Azraelthe7th View Post
    It says that my build-essential package is the newest, and it still can't find a precompiled kernel. So, no 9600 GT on Hardy for me yet.
    it was my impression that build-essential allows the driver to compile it's own kernel (but I could be wrong), since it couldn't find a preocompiled kernel when I tried installing it either, but I clicked okay/yes to all the options and ended up with a 3D desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by zhinker View Post
    it was my impression that build-essential allows the driver to compile it's own kernel (but I could be wrong), since it couldn't find a preocompiled kernel when I tried installing it either, but I clicked okay/yes to all the options and ended up with a 3D desktop
    That's pretty much what I did, but it's just not finding it. When I start up GDM after I install the driver, the kernel panics and it says that it can't find a proper X server configuration. It's, as one would say, frustrating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast