Thread: Update to 8.04 or do a fresh install?

Beans

Update to 8.04 or do a fresh install?

Hello there folks,
    as 8.04 will come out tomorrow I wonder if I should do an update? I already have my 7.10 running perfectly exactly the way I want it. A few tweaks here and there, quite a few games installed through wine and so on.

What will happen with all this when if I update? Will it remove the previous install and settings or how does this work?

Thank you for your time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Update to 8.04 or do a fresh install?

An update keeps all your files and settings, if you do a fresh install of course you loose all that. Some people prefer a fresh install, but I don't see a problem with updating.

I'll be updating through Synaptic.
    Google Ventures / Prowl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

upgrading will keep most everything intact, a fresh install will not.
    If you don't have a separate /home partition, upgrading might be easier, but i'm no expert.
    I'm thinking about it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Melhisedek View Post
    Hello there folks,
    as 8.04 will come out tomorrow I wonder if I should do an update? I already have my 7.10 running perfectly exactly the way I want it. A few tweaks here and there, quite a few games installed through wine and so on.

What will happen with all this when if I update? Will it remove the previous install and settings or how does this work?

Thank you for your time!
    HI and if you have a working system and you like it then I would say wait.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    HI and if you have a working system and you like it then I would say wait.
    Yeah... unfortunately for all the testing and debugging that occurs there can always be issues that crop up after the official release, and also unfortunately the "upgrade" process has kind of been known for causing some issues that don't normally occur through a clean install.

I personally like to take these releases as a time to start fresh. I just backup whatever I want to and do a clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have found updates work if I first back up critical configuration files. For example, I have samba and sendmail configured. I go and back those configuration files up. Anything else, like special installations, I also back up, like daemons that are not part of Ubuntu. Of course, backing up your home directory and other directories like it is always smart advice.

Then, when the update wants to write new config files, I let it. As long as you have backed things up, there is no harm in trying an update, and then going for a full installation.

As you have previously been advised, I would wait for a while before installing. Let some of the kinks be worked out, before you have to work them out.
    cmn

Beans

I personally had a few minor issues when going through the upgrade. Now, I know that I'm impatient, and upgraded to the RC version, but there is still the potential that certain things will not be perfect. Like I said, I had a couple of minor problems, and I'm sure most of them could have been worked around, or dealt with later, but I ended up doing a clean install (again of the RC, since I'm still impatient) and I didn't have any of the problems with the clean install that I had with the upgrade. Prior to choosing to do the clean install I made sure I backed up:
    All my personal files &
    xorg.conf (I have special nvidia things going on there)
    And anything else I could think of.

I made a list of programs I wanted to re-install and even icon/metacity/emerald themes that I wanted to go get afterwards. Firefox extensions, bookmarks, etc.

All in all, after the clean install it took me very little time to get my system back the way I wanted. It was even a good way to do some housekeeping. I had quite a few programs that I had installed to try them out, but I didn't really end up using them, so after my clean install, I just didn't re-install those programs (I had about 6 different music players, for example).

All in all, my advice would be to try the upgrade, but go ahead and prepare for a clean install, by backing up your stuff and knowing what you would want to re-install. This is a good thing to have anyway, whether you're upgrading or not.

That's just my two cents.