Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Fix usplash

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Fix usplash

Great stuff, I've finally gotten it going after having to set the timeout all the way up to 200. Much appreciated !!

Beans

I thought I'd mention that it is worth trying to boot without splash and quiet in the kernel boot parameters to see why it is taking soo long to boot.

Beans

Great Howto. I couldn't figure out what the dealio was the splash screen with no progress meter bar. This fixes it, but breaks something else...

** When I log out of a KDE session, and try to log back in I lose all keyboard response. Nothing. Nada. Adios keymigos! **

Causes?

1. I believe recreating the initram disk has something to do with it. I don't know who maintains the kernel package tree containing the ramdisk, but the ramdisk may have been built with some other options. Not gonna download that kernel package source to probe any further either. Maybe later...

2. A lot of framebuffer device aware "drivers" do not play nice nice with Nvidia binary drivers. It's quite apparent when I try to shutdown my box too. When it's hitting runlevel 6, you can see some graphical garbledygook mixed in on the the framebuffer.

In the meantime, I just disabled the usplash altogether by removing the kernel grub parameters and restored my original ramdisk.

Thanks for the fix though. I just don't need all that perty stuff when I can't log back into a KDE session. Maybe someone else can figure this one out and post back...

\\//_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ok, I've set a high timeout and reinstalled the usplash package, and this is the error I'm still getting when usplash should be starting:

/init:70: /sbin/usplash_write:not found

that file does exist. what's going on and how can i fix it?

Beans

I recompiled the kernel and am not using initramfs. Is it still possible to use usplash? In that case how...?

Beans

If you set the usplash timeout to something high and it still times out (for me it times out while checking internal reiserfs tree), you may want to check if the script is run after module-init-tools or networking, because those scripts temporarily set the timeout to 120 and reset it to 15 afterwards.

I fixed my usplash with the first solution here and commenting out the lines changing the timeout in module-init-tools and networking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by erikf154
    I recompiled the kernel and am not using initramfs. Is it still possible to use usplash? In that case how...?
    I'd like to know the answer to this too, out of curiousity, mostly; I'm not using initrd so as to cut down on boot time (I made a custom kernel with only the necessary modules compiled in). The splash screen is kind of cool to "impress the rubes" ("Hey, what's THAT?" "Oh, thats linux... Kubuntu, actually"). I'd like to get it working again, just for fun. What would a minimal initrd image contain? How can you build it as part of the kernel build process?

q

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another basic question:

How does one switch between the Kubuntu and Ubuntu splash screens? I prefer the latter, it's browner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman
    Another basic question:

How does one switch between the Kubuntu and Ubuntu splash screens? I prefer the latter, it's browner
    yes, someone please teach us how to switch between the ubuntu and kubuntu splashes... i installed kde, and now my splash shows kubuntu ~
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans
    Hidden!

How does one switch between the Kubuntu and Ubuntu splash screens?
    ok..to switch between Ubuntu and Kubuntu Uspash screens here is a how-to:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113250
    Let me know if it worked. Goodluck.
    Last edited by byen; January 19th, 2006 at 10:05 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast