Thread: Photo Browsers (again!)

Beans

Photo Browsers (again!)

Hi,

I'd like to get a consensus on the best choice of Photo Browser / Importer for Gnome.

My Needs (Simple):

Good Importer with masks for specifying directory and file naming on import.
    RAW, JPG and Video handling
    Thumbnail catalogue / database
    Slide show incorporating all formats if possible

I don't need complex editing - I'll use a secondary tool (maybe GIMP) for that.

I don't want to hear the following answers:

F-Spot
    G-Thunb
    Picassa

I've tried digiKam on a Kubuntu install, but this seems to be a KDE app. only. There also seems to be mixed views on whether it will run correctly / reliably under Gnome. If there's anyone out there who has an 'experienced' take on this I'd be happy to hear it. And any other suggestions of course. I gather the majority feel that the lack of a good photo browser is a weak spot in Gnome. Any signs of that being corrected...??

Thanks

Beans

Re: Photo Browsers (again!)

Quote Originally Posted by JemW View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to get a consensus on the best choice of Photo Browser / Importer for Gnome.

My Needs (Simple):

Good Importer with masks for specifying directory and file naming on import.
    RAW, JPG and Video handling
    Thumbnail catalogue / database
    Slide show incorporating all formats if possible

I don't need complex editing - I'll use a secondary tool (maybe GIMP) for that.

F-Spot
    G-Thunb
    Picassa

I've tried digiKam on a Kubuntu install, but this seems to be a KDE app. only. There also seems to be mixed views on whether it will run correctly / reliably under Gnome. If there's anyone out there who has an 'experienced' take on this I'd be happy to hear it. And any other suggestions of course. I gather the majority feel that the lack of a good photo browser is a weak spot in Gnome. Any signs of that being corrected...??

Thanks
    Anyone...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

lowfat

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cnr437 View Post
    lowfat
    URL?

Beans

Well I work in the photo industry and am also a newcomer on here and have no problams using Picassa plus Ive loaded my copy of Adobe Photoshop via Wine and have no problems at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoff5314 View Post
    Well I work in the photo industry and am also a newcomer on here and have no problams using Picassa plus Ive loaded my copy of Adobe Photoshop via Wine and have no problems at all.
    Thanks but I'm a purist. I will not run Windows apps shoehorned into Linux. It's against my religion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cnr437 View Post
    lowfat
    Hmmm..can't find this...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

here's a link to an old thread that discusses this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140073)

although i have to say i'm not sure this thing was ever released and the website of macslow also doesn't give you much information on it.

(although i have to confess the preview looks really impressive...)
    Xubuntu Artwork Lead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by JemW View Post

...snip....

F-Spot
    G-Thunb
    Picassa
    Are you a politician or something? How are we going to get a consensus if you don't want to hear the answers?

Look, I found Lphoto on linuxappfinder but that's all now you excluded the most popular ones. Did you know a new version of Picasa for linux (2.7) was released on the 16th?

It might be against your religion but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
    Computers shouldn't cost the earth
    - lower your power consumption, buy sustainably -