Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu on a Dell Windows laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu on a Dell Windows laptop

Quote Originally Posted by grenet View Post
    I'm going to wait for the Dell ISO, it will make things easier for me. And since I'm going to do a fresh install, I should probably dual boot an XP copy too.
    Where does one acquire a Dell ISO? I have an old Inspiron 2500 which I can't get the monitor resolution right on and I can't find any help that works on this little beast. Will a Dell ISO help?
    Registered Linux User #457788
    Richard: "Darren, everybody cries when they get stabbed. There's no shame in that." Slings & Arrows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It might help. http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10 is the link you would want. Though, I imagine they will update their machines to Ubuntu 8.04 fairly quickly so, it might be worth waiting for that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by argraff View Post
    Where does one acquire a Dell ISO? I have an old Inspiron 2500 which I can't get the monitor resolution right on and I can't find any help that works on this little beast. Will a Dell ISO help?
    Dell's custom Ubuntu images are only released for the specific models under their N-Series.(ie. the models that come w/ Ubuntu pre-installed) You can find them available via Dell's Linux Wiki. Some other models tend to include similar hardware, as lots of Vostro users have claimed to get better hardware recognition by using a custom Dell Ubuntu install. So compare your hardware to some of the similar N-Series models and maybe try that specific custom Ubuntu image on your machine. This is just a option, I do not recommend doing this as these custom CDs were made for the model specified on Dell's Linux Wiki. You could also check out my Dell Linux Wiki sticky thread here for more useful links and info.

Dell generally gets their custom images released within a month or so of the official Ubuntu release. So w/ Hardy Heron being released today, I would guess Dell would have their custom images up within 4 weeks give or take. Just my guess though.
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12