Thread: Video Card for Hardy Heron

Beans
    Hidden!

Video Card for Hardy Heron

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 530s (that's the slim tower) with Intel Core Duo Processor E4500 (2MB L2 Cache,2.20GHz,800 FSB) and 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz with an Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. And I got a good deal too, since I bought it with FreeDOS!

I plan to exclusively run Hardy Heron on it and I want to use two monitors with the option of upgrading to three later. I'll have to install a video card for that (half-length and low profile).

I needs some advice:
    (1) Can Ubuntu run two monitors through a DMS-59 video out (obviously with the right dongle)?
    (I have my eye on either the JATON Video-PX358GS-DLP GeForce 7300GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 or the XFX PVT86SWML4 GeForce 8400GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16)
    (2) Any specific video cards you recommend highly? (the half-length is a real constraint here)

Thanks for your expertise!

-Aktrop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Video Card for Hardy Heron

Anything Nvidia will work like a charm

I got the GeForce 8500GT on my Dell E521. It works great. Use nvidia-settings to set it up with twinview or dualview.

I'm quite impressed with the ease of installation and of getting this card to work. It's easier than windows. I'm still using the initial glx drivers from my onboard video.

Compiz works great, twinview is flawless.

Good luck.