Thread: How to stop Ubuntu asking me for a password for a shared folder in Windows

Beans

How to stop Ubuntu asking me for a password for a shared folder in Windows

I have shared a folder from Ubuntu. When I try to access it through a windows machine in network. When I double-click on it I am prompted for a username and a password to access the index of the shared folders on my Ubuntu box. I do not want that to happen. What can I do to solve it?

PS: I searched for Google on this and I landed on a thread with the same problem, but I could not understand how to fix it. Please give it to me pea by pea, I am green in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How to stop Ubuntu asking me for a password for a shared folder in Windows

Can't tell from that screenshot, but I seem to recall when I did this in Windows that there is a "remember password" option. That's the only way around it I know of, don't think you can do anything on the Ubuntu side.

Beans

Hmm well I can't really log in with the username/password I use on the Ubuntu server (desktop server). I could do this in Xubuntu, logging in with the username/password I normally log in with. I was also helped in the Xubuntu IRC-channel on how to fix this, they helped me change some samba config file, something like that, but I can't remember how now and I've changed to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Giak View Post
    PS: I searched for Google on this and I landed on a thread with the same problem, but I could not understand how to fix it. Please give it to me pea by pea, I am green in Linux.
    Maybe if you could post a link to that thread someone might be able to simplify it for you.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have a look at my Windows / Ubuntu networking guide:

http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/

I hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Giak View Post
    Hmm well I can't really log in with the username/password I use on the Ubuntu server (desktop server). I could do this in Xubuntu, logging in with the username/password I normally log in with. I was also helped in the Xubuntu IRC-channel on how to fix this, they helped me change some samba config file, something like that, but I can't remember how now and I've changed to Ubuntu.
    Oh sorry I misunderstood your post, I thought you could access the share but didn't want to keep entering name/psswd. So yes, you need to create a samba user/password. Try these...

sudo smbpasswd -L -a ubuntu_username
    sudo smbpasswd -L -e ubuntu_username

replacing with your username..........

Beans

No I have both those problems. My number one goal is that you should access the shared folders (and printers etc) from browsing the network without being prompted for any username/password. Secoundly, can I ask what that command does? Because I already have a username and a password for my computer. If it sets a password for my user I already have one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonandrews View Post
    Have a look at my Windows / Ubuntu networking guide:

http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/

I hope it helps.
    Yup, it did. I typed that on the guide you had for Ubuntu networking. I have now added my user there. I rebooted and now I can view my files there. Preferably I want no login in the first place to view the index, but some folders still password protected. Is this possible? If not I can just solve it by getting an FTP-server. But still, a no-login in the first place is the best.