Thread: Gaming in a virtualator?

Beans

Gaming in a virtualator?

I am going to buy my first computer soon and I was planning on getting something great for gaming.

I was thinking a intel quad core processor and 4 gb of ram with a 700 watt power supply. I'm not sure on the mobo and graphics card yet.

Right now I am using my Mom's computer (I'm still in high-school) and I have VMware installed so we can use the printer.

This computer is a Dell inspiron e1505 notebook with Ubuntu with 1 gb of ram and VMware says to keep the host OS (Windows XP) at around 256 mb of ram so memory swapping doesn't take place. Thats not enough ram to play games.

So I am asking if 4 gb's of ram is enough to play games in a virtualator, or if I should just make a dual boot with XP?

Also, which virtualator would be best for gaming?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Gaming in a virtualator?

You can't play games in a virtual machine, as the guest operating system doesn't have access to the graphic cards, so you won't have accelerated graphics. If you plan to play Windows games, you will need a real Windows setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Gaming in a virtualator?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlads Mod View Post
    I am going to buy my first computer soon and I was planning on getting something great for gaming.

I was thinking a intel quad core processor and 4 gb of ram with a 700 watt power supply. I'm not sure on the mobo and graphics card yet.

Right now I am using my Mom's computer (I'm still in high-school) and I have VMware installed so we can use the printer.

This computer is a Dell inspiron e1505 notebook with Ubuntu with 1 gb of ram and VMware says to keep the host OS (Windows XP) at around 256 mb of ram so memory swapping doesn't take place. Thats not enough ram to play games.

So I am asking if 4 gb's of ram is enough to play games in a virtualator, or if I should just make a dual boot with XP?

Also, which virtualator would be best for gaming?

Thanks.
    Dual boot, virtualization does not lend itself well to graphics heavy gaming due to lack of 3d acceleration support. VMware does to some extent but not nearly good enough to play games on. You could get away with playing something like Civ 4 but if you want an FPS or 3d heavy game then it's probably not going to work out.
    -Chayak