Thread: How I got the ATi driver to work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow How I got the ATi driver to work

Simply I used this guide, but with the latest drivers from ati.amd.com and I got 3D acceleration to work with my ATi Xpress 200m Series integrated graphics card to work (64 MB) ... Simple enough...
    I hate signatures.

Beans

Re: How I got the ATi driver to work

I tired that with my Radeon X1650 and got an unviewable screen at startup; had to start over.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just download teh driver from ati.com. and then run it from a terminal. usually works fine for me. just gotta make sure you have the build-essentials and kernel headers installed first.

Beans

The Open source driver seems to work fine, was just troubleshoooting why it fades in games or some movies (without screensaver or power saving on)? So I found all this stuff abot the ATi driver (which makes sense- I thnk it was the same way wiht Windows).

That's what I did. I even searched through my synaptic for each item in the article's list, even though it appears that Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty has them all. I don't know if there is anything else to try. I have read that others with the Radeon1600 had this problem. I was wondering if anyone else with this card (Radeon x1650) got it working? (Mine is a Sapphire AGP 512 MB model).

Open Source Driver Symptom: fades (like sleeping) dutring movies - doesn't come back. Also, breaks into static color pattern during games (like Urban Teror) (after about 10-20 minutes for both) unrecoverable graphic crash. (i will post this problem in the appropriate forum).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morrie View Post
    I tired that with my Radeon X1650 and got an unviewable screen at startup; had to start over.
    How do you get a viewable screen to return? I have the same problem after installing the ATI driver. I also have a Radeon X1650. I have a bunch of data on that disk and don't want to have to delete it, and I have no other way to access it except by Ubuntu. I'm running 9.04 btw.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In synaptic if you search ATI you will find some xserver drivers... I have 3D with thos! works great!