apt-get remove kde

?
    Eat at Joe's

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Switching from GNOME to KDE in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Uber-Noob View Post
    Related Question: Does any one know how I can configure the login script so that some users can start GNOME and others start KDE by default? My whole family uses the same computer, and we don't all like the same DE.
    Just install it. Per-user is already automatically tracked and set when you use gdm to change your session.

I use fluxbox. My kids use XFCE. There is no need to manually select each time. Nor is there a need to set up a custom configuration script for this. It just already works like you describe.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by natman View Post
    I did the exact same thing for gusty KDE ontop of Ubuntu gnome, was the worst thing i ever did, all the little things like sounds in programs like k3b no longer worked ( unless i deleted the .gnome dirctory ) and the wireless profile manager really got confused with settings in kde and gnome.

If you really want both desktops ( which is more work also,learning where things are in both gets confusing ) partition and install KDE and speratly gnome and then perhaps try sharing the files for things like photos,music, just leave the settings alone to each desktop env.
    I can't say I've ever had that many issues with it. I have both KDE and Gnome installed usually, and everything seems to work fine for me.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've got KDE, Gnome and KDE4 all installed on the same (originally) Kubuntu install, and haven't really had any problems with it. I've settled back on KDE 3.x after playing around with Gnome and KDE4. Gnome just wasn't to my taste, and as another poster has said, KDE4 has tons of potential but I'd wait for 4.1 at the very least before really building a computer around it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12