Thread: [SOLVED] kde menu items appearing on gnome

Hybrid View

[SOLVED] kde menu items appearing on gnome

After a large automatic update this morning (22apr2008), I noticed several additional menu items under Application>Other. It looks like a few dozen KDE menu items have appeared even though I run Ubuntu with the gnome desktop. I've attached a screenshot here to show some of the files. 'crypto', cddb retrieval, dma-channels, file associations, etc, are just some of the programs appearing. All seem to be kde. I can probably remove the unneeded menu items, but was wondering if there is something I need to change so this does not happen again. I started with xubuntu 8.04 beta, and have since switched over to ubuntu 8.04. (Xubuntu is still a session option at startup)

Thanks,

John Simone
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: kde menu items appearing on gnome

I think these icons are actually corresponding to real programs that the update installed for you. So, Just deleting them will not remove the actual programs.

Go to Applications->Add/Remove then view the installed (marked with a check) packages and then remove packages that are not needed.

Note: you can filter the shown applications in the Add/Remove window by category. So you may use the "Other" filter.
    Last edited by mbadawi23; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    -- Mohamed

Re: kde menu items appearing on gnome

Will do. Thank you for the quick reply.

Beans

Angry Re: [NOT SOLVED] kde menu items appearing on gnome

hey I have exactly the same problem i am using Ubuntu for about 3 years without problem now installed:Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy),gnome2.22.3, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic.
    I am always using gnome. wanted to try KDE so I made KDE default and didn't like it. after I return back to gnome i found all these KDE items crowded in other menu. trying to remove them from add/remove applications didn't work coz 90% of these applications are not present, and they were obviously installed after I activate the KDE. i dont want to remove them by editing other menu, i need a real solution, may be by uninstalling KDE with all its application.
    thanks