Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Linux help!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    13

    Linux help!

    Hello,

    I'm a new user of Ubuntu, and I need help.

    1) can I download iTunes for Linux?

    2) How do I add more email address in mail envirement?

    3) How do I get sound working?

    4) This is the old verion of Ubuntu, not the ubuntu 8

    What do I do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    444
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Linux help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Danial Weston View Post
    1) can I download iTunes for Linux
    There is no native version, but you might be able to run in through Wine. Searching the forums for "Wine iTunes" will probably turn up a bunch of threads about that.

    There are also plenty of Linux-native applications with similar functionality to iTunes. If you have Ubuntu installed, you'll already have Rhythmbox, and a lot of people swear by Amarok (although that requires a bunch of KDE libraries, which is a turn-off for some people).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    13

    Re: Linux help!

    Quote Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
    There is no native version, but you might be able to run in through Wine. Searching the forums for "Wine iTunes" will probably turn up a bunch of threads about that.

    There are also plenty of Linux-native applications with similar functionality to iTunes. If you have Ubuntu installed, you'll already have Rhythmbox, and a lot of people swear by Amarok (although that requires a bunch of KDE libraries, which is a turn-off for some people).
    i've just got no idea how to use ubuntu.. so ok i'll search for wine itunes

    thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    13

    Re: Linux help!

    Hard? It says I don't have wine?
    bash command not found? Do I need to install it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    13

    Re: Linux help!

    Also, how do I get flash player working?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NL, EU
    Beans
    1,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Linux help!

    You might want to take a look at the Ubuntu website first. There's quite a bit of info in there.
    You could also look here and here

    Of course there's the monkeyblog, which should help you install stuff, and the undervalued Psychocats, where you will get most of what you would want to know
    I'm thinking about it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Beans
    284
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Linux help!

    You can install wine from your package manager.

    You said you wanted "iTunes". Do you really just want an online music store, or do you have an account with Apple already that you need to keep using? Amazon offers a native Linux app for their (non-DRM!) music store, if purchasing music from other sources is acceptable.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

    Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    13

    Re: Linux help!

    Quote Originally Posted by markjensen View Post
    You can install wine from your package manager.

    You said you wanted "iTunes". Do you really just want an online music store, or do you have an account with Apple already that you need to keep using? Amazon offers a native Linux app for their (non-DRM!) music store, if purchasing music from other sources is acceptable.
    I just want my iPod working, thats why I wanted itunes

    XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Location: chrome://browser/content/sanitize.xul
    Line Number 1, Column 2:e();
    -^

    Why do I get this in FireFox?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    13

    Re: Linux help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Danial Weston View Post
    I just want my iPod working, thats why I wanted itunes

    XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Location: chrome://browser/content/sanitize.xul
    Line Number 1, Column 2:e();
    -^

    Why do I get this in FireFox?
    also how do I find package manger

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Beans
    284
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Linux help!

    If you are just after iPod management, maybe something like Banshee would be what you need?
    http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08...pod-in-ubuntu/


    EDIT: This thread is just all over the place, isn't it? Not really about "Desktop Environments" at all. Maybe a mod can move this to the "Beginner" section, since there are basic questions about package managers and such.
    Last edited by markjensen; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

    Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •