Thread: maddog harddrive

Beans

maddog harddrive

hello

i just got a mad dog multimedia hard drive enclosure with a 120gb Seagate hard drive in it. However when I plug this into my usb 2.0 ubuntu sees nothing. I was wondering of anyone knew anything about how to get it to work. I'm using it with a dell inspiron 1520 with linux 7.10 if its any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: maddog harddrive

Quote Originally Posted by Baconfatty View Post
    hello

i just got a mad dog multimedia hard drive enclosure with a 120gb Seagate hard drive in it. However when I plug this into my usb 2.0 ubuntu sees nothing. I was wondering of anyone knew anything about how to get it to work. I'm using it with a dell inspiron 1520 with linux 7.10 if its any help.
    I put an 80GB 2.5" drive into an external enclosure a few years ago.

This would work fine with my tower computer, but the not with the Toshiba laptop I had at the time...

I suspect that the laptop is not supplying enough current to power the drive. Some enclosures come with an external power supply...

Try it on a tower system, look for a power connector on the case.

K.
    Ubuntu 14.04LTS Intel Q9650 SLB8W @ 3.0GHz :: 8 GByte RAM
    640 GBytes of discs :: DVD burner :: BluRay burner
    Mixed ethernet, WiFi and CPL networking :: 2 TByte NAS :: Network Printing :: Raspbian and MacOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: maddog harddrive

I have an older 20 gb hd in an enclosure that worked great for a while. What setting should the jumper be set to? (Master/Slave/Cable Select?)