Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How 2 Reformat a USB Flash "U2" Drive??

Beans

Re: How 2 Reformat a USB Flash "U2" Drive??

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    There's about 9.3 megs of data on the drive "somewhere". gParted is only showing 1 partition of something like 3.89 gigs . . . let me try it again, or maybe I'll also try Qparted on the Mepis Live CD and see if it sees the hidden partition. . .
    That sounds right. Gparted will list all partitions, including partitions hidden in windows.

The reason it says 3.89 is because of the 1gb= 1024 or 1000mb. So while the disk says 4gb, it's actually only 3.89gb.

The same with my external hdd, it says 500gb but is actually only 465,67gb and my internal hard drive.
    Last edited by billgoldberg; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thats right a 4gb disk would only show about that much. Try formatting to something different (e.g. ext2) and install the ext2 drivers for windows. See if that works.

http://www.fs-driver.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Sadly these "U2"/"U3" drives are a pain. I remember that the U2/U3 software is on a 'virtual cd' section of the key - you will always have a read-only drive with the software with one of these USB keys. Sorry.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3
    Last edited by Tom Mann; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added URL

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you need to, you could get the U3 uninstaller from the Sandisk site and run it on a Windows machine , that will get rid of it .......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For future reference, or to all those who are wondering, the U2 and U3 versions of the Cruzer USB drive have an option to uninstall itself from the cruzer.

When that annoying U3 menu pops up in the taskbar in Windows, if you access it and go to settings/configuration there is an option to uninstall, much easier than using gparted.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ace007,

Yes, you're right - - I finally got rid of the U2 files by calling Sandisk tech support (they have great service imho). Anyway, they advised how to find and run the uninstall routine (and it has to be done via Windows).

So, formatting these disks won't rid users of U2, because the files are placed such that the Windows sees the flash stick as two devices, and the U2 files show up as a DVD/CDRom . . . . read only.

If you only use these sticks in Linux, no problems - - but in Windows they can be more of a pain than a plus . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12