Thread: Sidebar Keeps Freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Sidebar Keeps Freezing

I am having trouble with my sidebar in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), also I am using a barnd new Lenovo X61.

Frequently (it has happened four times in the last day) the sidebar with the workspace switcher and window manager thing.

I'm not sure at all how to diagnose this so I'll give as much info as possible.

-the top side bar has sporadic functionality. The Application, System and Places menus die as does the calendar and the shut down button

-ps doesn't bring up anything suspiscious

-workspaces still function and, as far as I can tell, anything I can access with hot keys works (ie shuttin down, alt-tab)

-shutting down hangs and I have to hard reset

Other than that I'm trying to include a screenshot below...

Beans

Re: Sidebar Keeps Freezing

Either something went wrong when you installed gutsy or the hardware isn't 100% compatible.

I would try the new hardy version the day after tomorrow or upgrade to it now by opening by pressing “alt + f2″ and then enter “update-manager -d”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Sidebar Keeps Freezing

Well, crap. It's back again and just as I finished migrating all my work stuff over.

I upgraded to Hardy yesterday and it worked fine until...

It now broken for the second time in a row. This sucks. I can't use the button to shutdown and when I use 'sudo shutdown -r now' to restart the normal shutdown interface (ubuntu logo with progress bar backtracking) doesnt show up, it's a ful screen as far as I can tell normal unix shutdown.

In fact it's frozen now. everything else works( workspace switching, the neat new alt+tab graphic, etc) as long as I dont try to use the sidebar.

Please Help....