Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Datamation guy tries Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some Datamation guy tries Ubuntu

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...2068_3742066_1

So, what do you think?
    Some of what he said clearly reveals that he is not exactly knowledgeable on the subject of Ubuntu, but it was a nice read.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Some Datamation guy tries Ubuntu

Too bad he didn't learn theming. Copying OS X is pretty easy

Beans
    Hidden!

it was a shame they didnt explain to him well enough that the test pc they gave him wasnt the default install (it had gnome and kde choices, which confused him as a new user. and it was PURPLE for gods sake) and its a shame he decided not to mention that open office and firefox arent apps for ubuntu, but apps for just about every desktop operating system that mac and windows users could check out. but it was alright i suppose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, he is obviously an Ubuntunoob! (or is that Ubunoob??)
    So yeah, but if he keeps Ubuntu on his spare PC, he might learn something.
    What suprises me is that he is used to have his choice taken away and that the thing that was most important to him was the looks of his hardware. He didn't even think about performance and linux being free and still doing more than MACos.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's a funny quote on page 2 under "This could be Windows":

"The Linux desktop needs to eliminate that extra choice if it wants to reach a mass audience."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    Here's a funny quote on page 2 under "This could be Windows":

"The Linux desktop needs to eliminate that extra choice if it wants to reach a mass audience."

And don't forget
    There’s a reason that Apple has always been the choice of artists and musicians. The machine itself is artful. Yeah, it’s expensive, and it crashes, but it’s artful. And that counts for a whole lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Haha, that's my gf's PC...yes, indeed there is a lot of purple, and purisa fonts.
    "Life is a comedy of manners, but seldom do we leave the cast to sit in the audience and laugh our pants off."

Beans

A nice evaluation that was well-written. Particularly refreshing to see a review that wasn't just a report on the travails of installing. I have grown weary of all the installer reviews permeating the web which leave you with no idea about the actual usage of the distro.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Overall it wasn't so bad. I mean sure, it was slanted somewhat, but at least the guy up and said at the start, it's gonna be slanted. Keeping that in mind, I thought it was a fair review.
    Currently Reading:

The Israel Lobby and American Foreign Policy

Beans

Even though I think it's an onteresting viewpoint, I always twitch when I hear Apple users talk about how their operating system is cool and slick... it's just creepy.

Oh and the guy looks like a complete computer newbie. In one paragraph, he talks about virtual desktops, clearly unaware that OS X Leopard actually has this feature. Well,I hope I read it correctly. And what's with Forefx and Openoffice? It's really weird that he hasn't heard of Firefox on other platforms.

I find this article to be well written, but pretty bad on the technical side of things. It looks like as if the author hasn't got a friggin clue about computers.

Don't get me wrong, I own a MacBook, but sometimes Apple users scare me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast