Thread: Sony Vaio VGN-UX2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry Sony Vaio VGN-UX2

Hi
    I`m writing this for my husband, due to his dyslexia.

Well, actually, due to the dyslexia and his/our current Japanese studies he bought this nice little Vaio VGN-UX2 last week. It`s small so he can easily carry it with him and even use during class. Some of the features included are touch screen, 2 cameras, a Japanese keyboard (Ofcourse), bluetooth, fingerprint reader and wireless internet.

The problem is that we believed the OS was windows XP, which would be quite logical considering it`s 1.06 ghz cpu and 30 gb hdd. However, some jock at sony though it would be a good idea to squeeze windows vista home premium into this poor little machine. An OS that takes up 18 gb, and makes the computer suffer greatly just from something as simple as solitare. It`s actually lagging when surfing the net!... in firefox with adblock activated!

And that actually brings us to the question I had.
    Is it possible to put ubuntu into this machine, without loosing too much of, what to call them, features? I mean, he can live without the touch screen, but we`d really like the wireless network to work, as well as the webcam if possible.
    Has anyone actually done this and what should we do to get it to work? I`m quite a newbie... -.-

Thank you in advance!

------------------
    **Edit!**

I found a website with the specs for this computer if it helps.
    http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vgn...ite=hp_en_AP_i
    Last edited by catwomisen; April 23rd, 2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: adding URL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Sony Vaio VGN-UX2

Sorry, I`m bumping this thread a bit. We`re starting to get really desperate to get that machine to work, without killing it... He got linux puppy working on it, but not even the wireless network worked.

Beans

You can always try the live-CD, pop the live-CD in, and check it out. It won't install Ubuntu straight away. You would have to click the install icon on the desktop for it to actually install it. It will be slow on the CD though so don't get frustrated. When you actually have it installed, it will be a lot faster. I have a Sony laptop and everything worked for me out of the box, except the camera which I had to manually install/compile. But then again, I never installed Linux on a touchscreen so I don't know what the results will be.

Beans

Your best bet is to find out what kind of wireless, sound, video, and so on products are built into the machine and do a search on the forums for it. I know my friend is having some trouble with his touch screen right but it's not a Sony. You can find a lot of people that will help you on these forums but they will need details to tell you what kind of drivers you may need.

Good luck, on a machine like that I bet you'll love Ubuntu once you get it set up!

Oh and you may want to wait until tomorrow when 8.04 comes out I know the beta seems to be auto detecting a lot more on the machine I tested it out on.