Thread: Wine Full Screen Set Monitor to Out of Range

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Wine Full Screen Set Monitor to Out of Range

Good Day All,
    I've got a new problem with screen resolution in Wine. I've been running Ubuntu for several years and I've always used Wine to play my Hoyle games. I've always been able to play them in full screen. I've upgraded or lets say installed Ubuntu 8.04 RC and also installed Wine after that. I ran winecfg and performed all the settings that I always use. I installed my Hoyle programs and then tried to play them. I can play in windowed mode but when I go to full screen I get and Out Of Range message on my monitor. I can go back to windowed mode and it works just fine. I've never had this problem in Wine before. I've done several searches and found nothing but I've not gone to the Wine forums yet. I thought I would try here first. I'm not wanting anyone to solve my problem for me I just would like to know if anyone has any idea what may be causing the problem. Other than that everything is working great.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Wine Full Screen Set Monitor to Out of Range

Are you using 800x600 resolution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nope. I'm using 1024 x 768. That's what I've been using for quite some time and I've never has any problems.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Iguana

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well I kept searching and I may have found my problem. I had to do a reinstall because of an unrelated problem. I reinstalled everything except for the Nvidia drivers. Also that means that I don't have Compiz Fusion enabled yet. My WINE and Hoyle games are working perfect now. I'm not sure which one caused the problem but I will find out tonight. I will install the Nvidia drivers and also see if Fusion causes any problems when enabled. I will report back and hopefully be able to mark this solved.

Eddie
    Iguana

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I found the problem for sure. It was not Compiz Fusion. It was the new Nvidia driver. I removed it and installed the nvidia-glx driver and had no further problems. I have an older Nvidia card. I installed the nvidia drivers using the app. in Ubuntu 8.04 and thats how nvidia-glx-new got installed.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Iguana

Beans

Open "Applications"
    Under "Installed Applications" you should find "Configure Wine"
    Open "Configure Wine" and click on the "Graphics" tab
    Check the box to "Emulate a virtual desktop"
    The default 800 x 600 resolution worked well for me.