Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

Quote Originally Posted by McLeod Brennaman View Post
    Quick and dirty fix for that.

In OS X, download (something like) smcFanControl. That puts a little applet in the menubar that controls your fan speeds. Set it to max, should be 6000? Restart out of OS X, load up Ubuntu, and it -should- keep humming along at 6000. Don't quote me on that, I use default dynamic speeds on my 3rd gen, but I have tried it using Window$ with and without all the boot camp software, and it works there, so I'm assuming it's the same deal for any other OS.

Irritating part about this fix is that after restarting that one time, you have to keep booting into OS X first just to set the fans to what you want. Apparently it only works for one load, unsure as to why. Another interesting tidbit to note is that graphics card overclocking also carries over to the next reboot in this same manner, so OC's done in Linux/Window$ will carry over into OS X or Linux, not sure about Window$ here, but I'm assuming it's the same case.
    much on the mac is stored in variables in the firmware somewhere, which is different from most PCs...

You can control fan speed directly in Linux though, see the Intel FAQ.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I recently updated from 7.10 to 8.04 on a first generation (I think so) macbook. I have two problems I want to get rid of:

1. My screen doesn't work if I boot into ubuntu the normal way. I just get a black screen (with a bit of flickering) it's like some xconfig is trying but failing to load the xserver. I cannot get to the commandline or do anything else
    It is fixed if I boot into recovery mode, try xfix (which doesn't seem to do anything) and then resume boot.
    But ubuntu doesn't seem to save the configuration, so next time I boot, I'm having the same problem all over again.

2. Other problem is that I use a second screen, and I don't seem to be able to configure it anymore. Maybe part of the same first problem. I used to do it with xrandr, but the same commands don't seem to have the desired effect

Apart from that, sound using alsa works well. And I haven't experienced any other problems. Now I leave my macbook booted, but once I'm going back on the road with it that's gonna be a problem

anyone any useful input?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did some further testing, and it to have to do something with ubuntu failing to load the intel driver (which workedd previously in 7.10 and with which I had a decent dual monitor setup with xrandr).
    I think it loads the vesa driver, or maybe the 915resolution driver.
    How can I make sure which driver is loaded? displayconfig-gtk doesn't seem to give me the right information.
    And the xrandr GUI (monitor resolution settings) doesn't work very well...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by McLeod Brennaman View Post

... controls your fan speeds. Set it to max, should be 6000? ...
    That's a great way to keep the laptop healthy; I bet it will certainly help protect the important ingredients of the laptop by keeping everything cool. I don't want to sound unappreciative of such suggestions, but... who wants to run a laptop where the fan is going, well... even 3000 RPMs, let alone 6000 RPMs? :\

Then again, people deal with similar annoyances on the Xbox 360 without complaint. Haha.

Beans

I think setting fan speed to max will collect more dirt inside my Macbook, I won't do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When I boot into recovery mode and just choose resume once asked my xserver boots fine. When I choose the normal boot, I just get a black screen with no options to do.
    Booting in recovery without choosing xfix doesn't seem to alter my xconfiguration so I have been able to set it up so that I can use xrandr to get a usable dual screen setup.

What's so different between normal boot and recovery boot that my display driver loads fine in recovery and not when normal booting?

Beans

same problem here with ubuntustudio on a macbook revision 1. after upgrade to hardy heron i have troubles with the X server.
    when booting normaly:
    • X shows up with weird pixels on the screen.
    • black again.
    • then one more time weird pixels (you can see, that something is going on in the buffer).
    • black again.
    • i'm not shure, if it tries to start X again. at least the backlight seems to be switched on/off.
    • no response anymore.

booting in recovery mode and pressing resume works fine.
    the xorg.conf was generated by the xfix entry in the recoverymenu some time ago. i only added some lines to get my graphictablet working.

see the files attached.

uname -a
    Linux kami 2.6.24-17-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu May 1 16:23:33 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

it's really annoying. anyone with good news out there?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

i've got it!
    Quote Originally Posted by border View Post
    What's so different between normal boot and recovery boot that my display driver loads fine in recovery and not when normal booting?
    it's usplash that kind of messes up the video card so that X cannot start anymore. when booting in recovery mode the splash option is ommited.

to fix it:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    search for the line starting with
    Code:
    # defoptions=...
    and delete the "splash" option.

save the file and call
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    that worked for me. no more splash while booting, but at least it's useable again.

hth,
    anat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It works!!!

Thanks a lot

Did it have anything to do with the intel graphics card, the macbook or is it a bug in an ubuntu package somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by border View Post
    It works!!!

Thanks a lot

Did it have anything to do with the intel graphics card, the macbook or is it a bug in an ubuntu package somewhere?
    It could really be either... a bug in usplash or a bug in the driver for your card.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123