I recently updated from 7.10 to 8.04 on a first generation (I think so) macbook. I have two problems I want to get rid of:
1. My screen doesn't work if I boot into ubuntu the normal way. I just get a black screen (with a bit of flickering) it's like some xconfig is trying but failing to load the xserver. I cannot get to the commandline or do anything else
It is fixed if I boot into recovery mode, try xfix (which doesn't seem to do anything) and then resume boot.
But ubuntu doesn't seem to save the configuration, so next time I boot, I'm having the same problem all over again.
2. Other problem is that I use a second screen, and I don't seem to be able to configure it anymore. Maybe part of the same first problem. I used to do it with xrandr, but the same commands don't seem to have the desired effect
Apart from that, sound using alsa works well. And I haven't experienced any other problems. Now I leave my macbook booted, but once I'm going back on the road with it that's gonna be a problem
anyone any useful input?
I did some further testing, and it to have to do something with ubuntu failing to load the intel driver (which workedd previously in 7.10 and with which I had a decent dual monitor setup with xrandr).
I think it loads the vesa driver, or maybe the 915resolution driver.
How can I make sure which driver is loaded? displayconfig-gtk doesn't seem to give me the right information.
And the xrandr GUI (monitor resolution settings) doesn't work very well...
Then again, people deal with similar annoyances on the Xbox 360 without complaint. Haha.
I think setting fan speed to max will collect more dirt inside my Macbook, I won't do that.
When I boot into recovery mode and just choose resume once asked my xserver boots fine. When I choose the normal boot, I just get a black screen with no options to do.
Booting in recovery without choosing xfix doesn't seem to alter my xconfiguration so I have been able to set it up so that I can use xrandr to get a usable dual screen setup.
What's so different between normal boot and recovery boot that my display driver loads fine in recovery and not when normal booting?
same problem here with ubuntustudio on a macbook revision 1. after upgrade to hardy heron i have troubles with the X server.
when booting normaly:
- X shows up with weird pixels on the screen.
- black again.
- then one more time weird pixels (you can see, that something is going on in the buffer).
- black again.
- i'm not shure, if it tries to start X again. at least the backlight seems to be switched on/off.
- no response anymore.
booting in recovery mode and pressing resume works fine.
the xorg.conf was generated by the xfix entry in the recoverymenu some time ago. i only added some lines to get my graphictablet working.
see the files attached.
Linux kami 2.6.24-17-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu May 1 16:23:33 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
it's really annoying. anyone with good news out there?
i've got it!
to fix it:
search for the line starting withCode:sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
and delete the "splash" option.Code:# defoptions=...
save the file and call
that worked for me. no more splash while booting, but at least it's useable again.Code:sudo update-grub
Thanks a lot
Did it have anything to do with the intel graphics card, the macbook or is it a bug in an ubuntu package somewhere?