Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

Hi Nioclas,

good to see another first generation macbook user. Two questions:

1) What kind of battery life do you get?

2) Is suspend temperamental?
    Battery life is awful! My battery is wrecked as it is and I am in the process of buying a replacement! So I can't say it would be an accurate picture. I get about 70% under 0S X and 29% (virtually unusable) in Ubuntu - roughly!

Suspend isn't working correctly right either, but I think this is related to the battery. I'll get back to you on this.

Sound problems...

My sound works alright now, enabling those other channels in the preferences pane really helped. The sound quality etc is not upto OS X as far as my ears can determine, but it may all be in my head now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nioclas View Post
    Battery life is awful! My battery is wrecked as it is and I am in the process of buying a replacement! So I can't say it would be an accurate picture. I get about 70% under 0S X and 29% (virtually unusable) in Ubuntu - roughly!
    If you haven't already, try resetting the SMC controller:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Beans

ok so lets ask this question one more time cuz idk if it really got answered in the post yet. does hardy work out of the box with a macbook 3,1. or does one hafta follow the wiki steps to get it all working? iv tried it with gutys and never got the video out or the trackpad working correctly and the bottom got quite hot which scared me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by n0greenfx View Post
    ok so lets ask this question one more time cuz idk if it really got answered in the post yet. does hardy work out of the box with a macbook 3,1. or does one hafta follow the wiki steps to get it all working? iv tried it with gutys and never got the video out or the trackpad working correctly and the bottom got quite hot which scared me.
    I think that those issues will be the same for you in Hardy... other than maybe the trackpad, but that doesn't mean it isn't compatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Re: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

Hi!

I've slowly fallen in love with Ubuntu. I've found so many articles lately talking about ways to tweak the OS and it's gotten me to the point where I'm really happy with where I'm sitting.

The problem is that I have a 1st-gen MacBook (w/ a gig of RAM).

As others have said in this thread, I'm having serious battery problems. When I run my Ubuntu partition, my fan averages around an audible 3000+ rpm, and the laptop runs hot. This is when I'm not doing anything. On the Mac OS partition, the fan is silent, averaging 1500 rpm, and the laptop isn't noticeably warm.

If I run something like Firefox under Ubuntu, the fan often (but not always) ramps up loudly and the laptop gets even warmer. I'm guessing I'm hitting something like 5000+ or 6000+ rpms. Under Mac OS, there is no change unless I'm opening lots of tabs, watching videos, etc.

My battery health usually rates around 80 % these days. However, If I leave my laptop plugged in and running Ubuntu for a while, when I later fire up my Mac OS partition to check on the battery health, it's often sitting around 55-65 % on health - forcing me to run the battery down and recharge it fully a couple times to get it back around 80 %.

I've spent the past few days digging around on Google and searching through the forums here, and going through sites like Lifehacker. The best I seem to be finding are comments from 13 or 14 months ago asserting that Ubuntu just isn't really kind to laptops - not yet, anyway. Is this true? Has nothing changed since then? I've tried things like using no graphical enhancements, things that I thought might help out, but it doesn't appear to change much.

This kills me! Like I said, I'm falling in love with Ubuntu. I'd love to format the drive, wiping the Mac OS partition, and go 100 % Ubuntu, but it just doesn't seem like I can - not without risking destroying my laptop. Thoughts? Or should I just hopefully wait for the next major release? :\
    Last edited by bobisimo; April 27th, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I installed Hardy on my MacBook, it's the latest generation (is that 3rd?).

Sound is not working, my external screen is merely a clone, these are two issues I am trying to resolve currently.

Touchpad worked out of the box, wifi worked using ndiswrapper.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Hidden!

Sound is tricky to diagnose, seeing as we 3rd-gen users have Realtek -and- intel chipsets. You want to use intel, trust me, it's much simpler. Assuming you're using a cookie-cutter iso install, open up the Menu -> System -> Preferences -> Sound Preferences. Set -everything- to ALSA- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture and the "Device" to HDA-Intel (Alsa Mixer). Test it. If you're not getting sound still, right click on the volume control applet in the panel, "Open Volume Control." Make sure that Master and PCM are cranked, and on the (I believe, disabled this myself) Switches tab, turn the Front Speaker on or off to your preference if you're using the line out jack or not.

If that doesn't work, try purging and reinstalling gstreamer, if that doesn't work, try another backend like xine, and if that doesn't work, you're beyond me and I apologize.

And wish I could help you with external screens, but haven't gotten around to tackling that myself just yet. X11 display settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf will undoubtedly need tweaking, but once again, you're beyond my help there, but I'm sure the issue's been brought up somewhere on the forums.

Beans

Will a macbook run xubuntu 8.04??? The newer macboks should run just about anything.

Furthermore, if I could voice my opinion, Mac OS X is the best OS availabe, especially leapord. With that, you can run linux, you can run windows cp, you can run vista, you can run soloris.....the lsit is endless, with an emulator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by shgadwa View Post
    Will a macbook run xubuntu 8.04??? The newer macboks should run just about anything.
    Well, my MacBook is first-gen but it still seems to handle Ubuntu well. I don't notice any performance hits regardless of what's going on, compared against how everything handles with OS 10.4 - aside from the battery, fan, and over-heating.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quick and dirty fix for that.

In OS X, download (something like) smcFanControl. That puts a little applet in the menubar that controls your fan speeds. Set it to max, should be 6000? Restart out of OS X, load up Ubuntu, and it -should- keep humming along at 6000. Don't quote me on that, I use default dynamic speeds on my 3rd gen, but I have tried it using Window$ with and without all the boot camp software, and it works there, so I'm assuming it's the same deal for any other OS.

Irritating part about this fix is that after restarting that one time, you have to keep booting into OS X first just to set the fans to what you want. Apparently it only works for one load, unsure as to why. Another interesting tidbit to note is that graphics card overclocking also carries over to the next reboot in this same manner, so OC's done in Linux/Window$ will carry over into OS X or Linux, not sure about Window$ here, but I'm assuming it's the same case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast