Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

Beans

Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by techno-mole View Post
    hello.
    i used this guide to install awn, which worked, well almost.
    it seems for some reason i can either have launchers, or applets, but not both, if i have say a launcher for firefox it will work, but if i then add an applet the firefox launcher will disappear, and vice versa, i cant seem to get an applet and a launcher to work together.

i used this method for gutsy and it worked fine, any ideas as to what it might be ? ive tried removing everything and re-installing but i still get the same issue.
    cheers
    Are you sure the launchers aren't just merging into your running tasks? Try adding a Firefox launcher when no firefox windows are open; does that then work when you add an applet?
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question about the affinity app:

1. is there a way to change the icon?
    2. How do I make it index my system (or am I completely misunderstanding its purpose)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid86 View Post
    Question about the affinity app:

1. is there a way to change the icon?
    2. How do I make it index my system (or am I completely misunderstanding its purpose)?
    1. No

2. Affinity doesn't actually index your system itself. Instead, you have to install tracker or beagle to do the actual indexing, and then Affinity will allow you to search the index they generate.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by reacocard View Post
    1. No

2. Affinity doesn't actually index your system itself. Instead, you have to install tracker or beagle to do the actual indexing, and then Affinity will allow you to search the index they generate.
    I see. Which would you suggest?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid86 View Post
    I see. Which would you suggest?
    I recommend tracker because it uses slightly less resources, but both work well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ive got it sorted now, i did try what was suggested but had no luck.
    in the end i removed awn, then removed the repos for it, reloaded synaptic, then added the repos again, reloaded synaptic and installed awn again, and it worked.
    although the stacker applets didnt work (just showed up as a white line) this morning there was an update for the core applets, did that and the stackers work fine now.
    cheers
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro

installed without a problem, thank you. one problem post-install. after a restart or shutdown the launchers on the dock will no longer be their. how could i save my launchers from oblivion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

martin saint martin: You didn't say if AWN is working, just without applets and launchers, or if it's crashing on boot up. If it's crashing on boot up, is Compiz working after you reboot? On my Dell laptop (nVidea graphics card), Compiz apparently doesn't start up correctly with Hardy. If I try to run avant-window-navigator in a terminal, I get a message that the screen isn't composited (i.e. Compiz isn't working correctly.) If I restart the Compiz window manager after booting up, then load AWN, it works fine. Good Luck.
    Three simple words: Read the manual.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

I just installed AWN without any hassle but unfortunately when I restart my computer or logoff, AWN disappears and I have to manually start it.

Yes my compiz always works even after restarting the computer. I have made sure startup behavior is enabled.

Also I am not able to add any Launchers on AWN. So to sum up I have two problems : -

1. AWN doesn't start automatically
    2. Not able to add any launchers like fire, skype, pidgin etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Janpreet View Post
    I just installed AWN without any hassle but unfortunately when I restart my computer or logoff, AWN disappears and I have to manually start it.

Yes my compiz always works even after restarting the computer. I have made sure startup behavior is enabled.

Also I am not able to add any Launchers on AWN. So to sum up I have two problems : -

1. AWN doesn't start automatically
    2. Not able to add any launchers like fire, skype, pidgin etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
    1. To start AWN automatically on logon, go to your session preferences System>Preferences>Sessions and click on New. Name it however you like and for the command:
    Code:
    avant-window-navigator
    2. Your launchers will not appear immediately after adding them and the refresh button generally won't add them. Try closing out AWN and restarting it to get your new launchers to appear. You can then move them around and it will show the changes in real time.

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast