Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

I just upgraded my Inspiron 530n using the all_generic_ide fix. It worked perfectly - the whole upgrade process took around 30 minutes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by freddybob View Post
    I just upgraded my Inspiron 530n using the all_generic_ide fix. It worked perfectly - the whole upgrade process took around 30 minutes.
    Glad to hear it, freddybob.

In my experience, either the fix you mention or switching SATA from IDE to RAID will do the trick. I'm not sure if there's any particular advantage to using one rather than the other, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting that either can do any harm.

p

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by prinknash View Post
    In my experience, either the fix you mention or switching SATA from IDE to RAID will do the trick. I'm not sure if there's any particular advantage to using one rather than the other, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting that either can do any harm.
    Does anyone know of somewhere the IDE vs. RAID setting is explained? This is a frequent question in these threads, and the answers tend to be a little sketchy. I ask because:

So far I have downloaded but not installed Hardy. I burned the CD, and could not even do the CD integrity check while the computer is in IDE mode (drops me to busybox). I can get the live CD to start either in RAID mode or with the all_generic_ide switch, but if the BIOS is in RAID mode, my current setup (Gutsy) won't load properly: it gets to the GRUB menu, then instead of loading the OS it reboots itself.

From this I conclude that switching from IDE to RAID mode does make some difference to the way the OS interacts with the hard drive. I'd like to know more about what that difference is.

(Using an Inspiron 530 with BIOS version 1.0.0, if that makes a difference.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gbrainin View Post
    Does anyone know of somewhere the IDE vs. RAID setting is explained? This is a frequent question in these threads, and the answers tend to be a little sketchy.
    I've seen something in one of these threads suggesting that AHCI, which gets switched on when you go from IDE to RAID mode, is a generally more advanced and better way of communicating with the kind of SATA controller we have in the Inspiron 530N. (It probably follows that forcing IDE with the other 'fix' mentioned here may not be using your system in the optimum way.)

A quick look at the Wikipedia entry on AHCI seems consistent with this but appears to suggest that there may be complications if you're running Windows as well as Ubuntu. My machine is Ubuntu only, so that doesn't bother me.

But - like you - I'd like to hear an explanation from someone who really understands this stuff.

p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm trying hard not to just do a 'me too!' post..

I'd like a clearer explanation too, if only that now with it working I'm unlikely to then also install any .iso that Dell does produce in a few weeks. Useful as an .iso might be for a fresh installs, with the package list backed up I wonder a fresh image wouldn't get used.

Beans
    Distro

Me too!

I'm very surprised this is not yet on Dell's list of 8.04 known issues.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php...4#Known_Issues

Beans

hi all
    was having same issue after trying 8.04 and changed the SATA operation to RAID as suggested: system was booting fine.I now want to reinstall windows to set up a dual boot system, but since changing to RAID setting in BIOS i can no longer access the BIOS on my 530: F2 does not work and cant access boot menu via F12 either.

So i can no longer boot from a CD , or change boot order in BIOS to CD; just goes straight to HDD

any suggestions greatly appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jobcol View Post
    hi all
    was having same issue after trying 8.04 and changed the SATA operation to RAID as suggested: system was booting fine.I now want to reinstall windows to set up a dual boot system, but since changing to RAID setting in BIOS i can no longer access the BIOS on my 530: F2 does not work and cant access boot menu via F12 either.
    I don't understand that. On my Inspiron 530N, BIOS version 1.0.3, after changing the setting to RAID I went back and reset it to IDE so that I could try out the "all_generic_ide" solution (which did work) - and then went back and reset the SATA setting to RAID, which is where I left it. So I've been able to switch quite happily between the two; and the F2 and F12 keys work as they should.

Sorry - this doesn't help you.

p

Beans
    Distro

F2 does not work and cant access boot menu via F12 either.
    I have changed back and forth several times. Have you tried moving the keyboard into a different USB socket?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by freddybob View Post
    Will changing to RAID wipe my disk?
    YES !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast