Thread: Merged Apple Support Threads

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Merged Apple Support Threads

With the advent of the new forum upgrades, it looks as though the admins have felt it necessary to merge the two Apple Hardware Support forums for some reason.

Personally, I think that PPC and Intel Macs are unique enough in their own respect to justify separate forums. However, since it looks like we will all be together for some time at least, I would ask that the Stickied threads be looked over by the appropriate posters to eliminate statements that don't make sense anymore (like, "if you have an Intel Mac, go here") and make sure that the good information available is properly labeled as applicable to Intel vs PPC Macs (or both, if there are any).

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Merged Apple Support Threads

Or at the very least, I'd like to see a prefix for PPC when starting a new thread.

Since we both run iMacs of a different breed, how are they going to tell us apart?

Dawn of a new era!
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    Or at the very least, I'd like to see a prefix for PPC when starting a new thread.
    Yes I thought that as well. I think there are some things that we can collaborate on, but we still need to keep some of the things that allow us to separate Intel from PPC. I wonder if they can make separate prefixes for different forums?

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess for now we'll have to be very specific in our thread titles. I ran across this very same issue in another forum, and wanted to stress that I was not asking for a PPC forum to be isolationist, but to try and ward off threads that can go absolutely nowhere from well-intentioned users not being aware of the differences.

Imagine this: "to get rid of your splash screen that seems to be causing problems, just add "nosplash" to your /etc/yaboot.conf file, and then later make the system aware of it with

Code:
    sudo ybin -v -C /etc/yaboot.conf
    Huh? I don't have a yaboot.conf, nor a ybin. You mean grub right? Should I download ybin or yaboot?

Dunno, always used yaboot. Let me look. I don't have a grub, what is that?

Moving on.... I can't seem to get compiz working on my 1998 G3 iMac. Can anyone tell me how?

Sure, just download and install the proprietary nvidia driver and then ....

Wait, I that driver doesn't work, what's going on?

I think you see the problem.

It is really hard to convince people that PPC folk aren't trying to be isolationist - it is the peculiarities of the hardware that can lead to endless threads if both parties aren't aware of the differences...

Stickies are a good idea, but can you see it now welcoming every new ppc or intel apple user with:
    "Welcome aboard! Read the sticky. Read it again. Don't even reply to someone unless you read the sticky." Ok, so I'm being dramatic, but you can easily hide "rtfm" behind a sticky if you aren't careful.
    Last edited by stream303; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    It is really hard to convince people that PPC folk aren't trying to be isolationist - it is the peculiarities of the hardware that can lead to endless threads if both parties aren't aware of the differences...
    hehe. and here I thought we might be perceived as isolationists. I think Macs in general are "peculiar" even from their Intel or PPC counterparts. Mactels with the EFI system and such make them a unique case pretty much anything else out there.

Beans

Its fine if they wanna merge them, but did they really have to move all those old threads to the archive & start from scratch??

Beans
    Hidden!

A lot of people seem to have that notion of us wanting to be peculiar, but what could be more linux-mainstream than trying to run Ubuntu on it? Once past the initial struggle of installation, we can be released back into the general population.

I hope they reconsider, considering that the sparc port has it's own forum, which is also "unofficial".

At any rate, I'm LOVING my Hardy-RC install and want to thank the volunteer devs and users.