Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merged Apple Support Threads

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Merged Apple Support Threads

The other aspect of keeping a PPC port alive, even if unofficially, is to promote a green planet.

You are far more likely to find PPC Macs being great candidates for re-use or introductions to Linux, than say a Sparc box in the home. (which as of now, the sparc forum has zero messages.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

I'll second that! and congratulations on 1000 posts. Well done that man/woman? I'm sure many people have been helped by your posts I know I have. cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks - although I wasn't really keeping count. In the end it's about community, and a single post from a newcomer is just as valuable. We're all just standing on each other's shoulders...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Funny thing is
    -My Ubuntu PPC Forum Bookmark still lists active threads and performs as though the forums had not merged.

Perhaps my browser still holds that golden "cookie" from yonder year when PPC and Intel Macs were Beasts of a different Breed.

Wierd Science

BTW Streamer Three Ohhh Threee !!!
    Big Ups for all your help for me personally as of late (and probably more in the future)

~s
    Last edited by slacka-vt; April 25th, 2008 at 03:42 AM. Reason: more info + ham + forgot to congratulate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by slacka-vt View Post
    Funny thing is
    -My Ubuntu PPC Forum Bookmark still lists active threads and performs as though the forums had not merged.

Perhaps my browser still holds that golden "cookie" from yonder year when PPC and Intel Macs were Beasts of a different Breed.

Wierd Science

BTW Streamer Three Ohhh Threee !!!
    Big Ups for all your help for me personally as of late (and probably more in the future)

~s
    the old forums are archived and users can only reply to open posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

i think the merge is a bad idea.

merging powerpc and sparc into a ports forum would make more sense (though i would prefer separate).

do the intel macs really need a separate forum? and more than there should be a forum for every other hardware manufacturer.

the a a lot of differences between powerpc macs and intel PCs:
    bootloader/bios/openfirmware
    finding downloads/mirrors
    availablitity of third party stuff: flash, java, graphics drivers etc
    powerpc specific bugs, mostly endian stuff
    different keyboard/single button mouse

i know there are not many powerpc people left, but its definately not the quietest forum. adding lots more posts with unrelated issues, will drown out the powerpc talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    do the intel macs really need a separate forum? and more than there should be a forum for every other hardware manufacturer.
    I'd say yes. It was a battle to get us out of the normal x86 forum as it was. Apple hardware has quirks period, they may not be the same quirks on Mactels as PPC macs, but they are there none-the-less, and some are the same (such as the keyboards and the one-button touchpads). Intels have EFI as opposed to OF (and a strange, closed implementation of EFI at that) and Apple's hardware is always just a little bit different than the generic version of the same type.

In the same way though, why should System76 or Dell have their own forums? They are even more 'general x86 machines' than mactels!

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm with you Ssam and CyberDork33!

If it was to cleanup the main page, the sparc port is still just taking up empty space - not a SINGLE message in it as of this writing.
    Last edited by stream303; April 26th, 2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: removal of unecessary comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

There is a Forum Council IRC meeting this saturday where this will be discussed. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda

I will probably not be able to be in it, so does someone else want to make the case of an unmerge, as well as bringing up the multidistro powerpc forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I will try to make it if I can remember (I am bad about remembering irc meetings), but I would like some backup from the PPC side. stream303? Any others that want to show to support the idea is probably a good thing.
    Last edited by cyberdork33; May 28th, 2008 at 12:24 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast