Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merged Apple Support Threads

Beans

Re: Merged Apple Support Threads

Quote Originally Posted by russo.mic View Post
    Well, To play devil's Advocate, I'd imagine it's easier on the Ubuntu Forums people. Less Data to handle.

I'm also guessing (Please, PPC people don't kill me here) that the PPC forum is getting less and less attention the more time goes on, simply due to the fact that Apple is no longer making them.

That's why I said from a users point of view. I disagree about less data, an unclear layout can mean more data as it can take longer to find an answer. I think your right that apple ppc machines usage can only go down. But ppc may not have peaked yet. Though are at or near that peak (i'm guestimating here) as the spec required to run osx goes up so does linux usage on ppc.

I am concerend that this is just another step to distancing ubuntu from ppc.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm also guessing (Please, PPC people don't kill me here) that the PPC forum is getting less and less attention the more time goes on, simply due to the fact that Apple is no longer making them.
    We won't kill you! We're a pretty mellow bunch for the most part. Getting systems up and running doesn't leave much time for any cheerleading or squabbling.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oswaldkelso View Post
    I think your right that apple ppc machines usage can only go down. But ppc may not have peaked yet. Though are at or near that peak (i'm guestimating here) as the spec required to run osx goes up so does linux usage on ppc.
    Couldn't have said it better. Actually, purchase of ppc has dropped, but that leave a large amount of perfectly good machines that might fall by the wayside to be picked up and put into use - witness the large amount of users getting circa 1998 G3 iMacs up with Xubuntu etc. There are a lot of people who want to put even more modern machines to good use, but might balk at installing OSX Leopard on it and need some help here.

I am concerend that this is just another step to distancing ubuntu from ppc.
    I used to wonder that too, but as long as they keep providing unofficial download repos, and even a forum such as it is to discuss things, I guess we're doing ok.

There's always those cool blogs / sites like yours. Nice work btw...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. Actually, purchase of ppc has dropped, but that leave a large amount of perfectly good machines that might fall by the wayside to be picked up and put into use - witness the large amount of users getting circa 1998 G3 iMacs up with Xubuntu etc. There are a lot of people who want to put even more modern machines to good use, but might balk at installing OSX Leopard on it and need some help here.

I used to wonder that too, but as long as they keep providing unofficial download repos, and even a forum such as it is to discuss things, I guess we're doing ok.

There's always those cool blogs / sites like yours. Nice work btw...
    I agree that ppc users have no god given right to a special place in the ubuntu forum. But mixing it with intel macs can not lead to a better or clearer way to fix things on ppc or intel macs. After all a good user experience is what's wanted isn't it?

Enough moaning, what ppc really needs is a ppc specific pod cast. Do you have a mic

Also how did you multi quote I can't get it to work since the down grade

Thanks for the nice comment on my site, I really should put more effort into it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Question Re: Merged Apple Support Threads

As many said above, I don't like the idea. Even if Canonical is dropping support to PPC architecture - with the new Ubuntu LTS and no PPC version of it.

One question about this threads: ¿ questions about iPod, iPhone,iTouch. iTunes, etc. with Ubuntu will be discussed here ? Beacuse 'Intel Mac Users' refers to the computers, but 'Apple Users' may refer to any product sold/developed by the Apple company ¿ or maybe not ?

And BTW, is there any way to buy a non-Apple, new, modern, PPC desktop computer today ? Or all the desktops resume to Intel/AMD/Via chipset and x86/x64 architectures ?
    [Edited: except PS3, of course ]
    SkarLoKo

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I really fail to see why they've merged us - this will only lead to confusion as people will inevitably forget to put Intel or PPC in their thread title!

Any forum staff around to explain the rationale, if there is one, or did it just seem to be a "good idea"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I must say, I'm currently Loving my Hardy Mactel setup. But I agree, as a frequent of the intel apple forum, Merging PPC and Intel seems like a bad idea. If anything, we should segregate by kernel, and since intel apples use the standard kernel...
    I'd be a little careful what you ask for there. It was a fight to get a Apple Intel forum. Originally they were saying Intel Macs are the same as any normal PC, so questions should be made in the x86 or x64 forums.

Just seems as though a lot of confusion is on the horizon. I try to give advice to the best of my ability, as I feel it helps me learn more, and shudder the thought of giving someone bad advice simply because they didn't think or know to state the PPC vs. intel thing.
    I asked in the "Forum Feedback & Help" forum and they are suggesting that there will be added prefixes ppc and intel to stick on posts so that we can tell them apart better. See this thread if you would like to voice opinion to the Admins:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762221

Merging intel mac and ppc is a very dumb idea from an existing or potentual users point of view. If anyone can see a plus in it I'd like to hear it.
    I think that it would be OK... I didn't really like it when I saw what happened but I would be willing to work with it. There are some things that we might be able to learn from each other, but, unfortunately, there is not much hardware alike between the two variants.

Quote Originally Posted by oskarloko View Post
    And BTW, is there any way to buy a non-Apple, new, modern, PPC desktop computer today ? Or all the desktops resume to Intel/AMD/Via chipset and x86/x64 architectures ?
    [Edited: except PS3, of course ]
    Xbox360 is based on PPC too

I think there are some server configurations based on PPC out there, but not really desktop systems.

Beans

I dont think there are any desktop boxes now pegasos has discontinued their machines. The xbox360 and wii are the only other non-Apple, new, modern, boxes that runs ppc that I know about. Looking at the yellowdog and fedora forums a large number of new users are ps3 gamers.There is wiili for the wii. It seems if you give a geek a box they will run linux on it.

Beans

I dont think there are any desktop boxes now pegasos has discontinued their machines.
    Genesi/Pegasos discontinued their Pegasos product line. But still produce PPC hardware. They currently sell the EFIKA workstation , and last I checked they were working on a successor.

http://www.genesi-usa.com/openclient.php

Seems kind of silly for the forums to differentiate between 32bit and 64bit x86 , and not ppc and intel apple hardware...
    Last edited by rectagonal; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oskarloko View Post
    As many said above, I don't like the idea. Even if Canonical is dropping support to PPC architecture - with the new Ubuntu LTS and no PPC version of it.
    They dropped "official" support long ago. It is now all-volunteer unofficially. You can still get it for PPC:

UPDATE: the url's for downloading were removed after I stumbled upon this request:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763798
    But you won't see this offering on the official download pages. You gotta' come here to find out!
    Last edited by stream303; April 24th, 2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: removed download urls to ease burden

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast