Thread: 8.04 install keeps freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry 8.04 install keeps freezing

I've burnt 2 install cds and the install gets all the way to select and install software and freezes at 80%. Same on both disc's. What could this mean. 7.10 installed ok on the same setup. I'm trying to do a fresh install with 8.04 and it's the only thing on the drive. please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 8.04 install keeps freezing

Quote Originally Posted by viceroy View Post
    I've burnt 2 install cds and the install gets all the way to select and install software and freezes at 80%. Same on both disc's. What could this mean. 7.10 installed ok on the same setup. I'm trying to do a fresh install with 8.04 and it's the only thing on the drive. please help.
    Hi and have you checked the cd for errors? If you are using the live cd then may choose the alternate cd for installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah I'm already using the alternate cd. Does that mean I should try the liveCD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by viceroy View Post
    Yeah I'm already using the alternate cd. Does that mean I should try the liveCD?
    Hi and you may check the cd for errors and then try the live cd and download from another location.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

the CD Checked out ok. It gave me the valid result. I'll try the live CD but I figured the alternate was the safe way to go. If the live CD doesn't work is there any other way to install? Say through the command line or something.

Beans

how fast are you burning the disks? try burning the discs at a lower speed say 4x or 8x.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah - similar problem here - it gets a 1/4 the way into the load, freezes for a few minutes, then continues on and starts up a desktop - with an 'HAL failed to init' error - and no more action. Discs test fine - and install beautifully on the next machine along the desk........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you're using th live cd, ram can be the problem.
    and you should try using the text installer.

if you're using the text installer, try the live cd.

Haven't got much expertise on this problem since i haven't had the problem, but this might do the trick.
    "We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." -Linus Thorvalds
    "I our department, we can do anything! ... There's a timeframe? in that case, nevermind my previous statement." - My Colleague

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think that unsupported hardware causes most of the installation hiccups, but I don't know I'm just a noob still. I tried the alternate CD first and I didn't have any luck. Here's the deal, the pc I'm working on is my grandpa's. I figured the gnome look and feel fit him and his needs more than the crappy pre loaded vista home premium that his PC came with.

Pentium dual core E2140
    250gb sata hitachi hdd
    gigabit integrated LAN- sis191 didn't work with 7.10
    1gb ddr2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yes! The liveCD worked. I'm installed now and everything is working fine even the Ethernet adapter. Thanks for the help guys.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif