Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning! Quickstart Potentially Malicious!

Beans

Warning! Quickstart Potentially Malicious!

There is a system backup and recovery tool floating around the forums called Quickstart, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

QUICKSTART IS CLOSED SOURCE, SO IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS REALLY DOING!

The author will not answer questions about how Quickstart works or why it depends on the installation of certain files!

Quickstart requires the installation of specific mail transfer and mail user agents which should enable it to send information from your computer without permission and without knowing the content of it's transmissions. Additionally, failure to have these installed prevents the program from working.

Inquiring about the function of Quickstart results in being flamed for not trusting a stranger on the internet!

QUICKSTART MAY OR MAY NOT be malicious, but the author will not provide information that allows for trust assessment.

Avoid Quickstart to protect your computer from the potential danger which is hidden from the user.

Beans

Re: Warning! Quickstart Potentially Malicious!

link available?

Beans

I believe this is the program (script):

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/...d.php?t=613462

Beans

I always stick to the repos. Never heard of Quick start before looking at this thread. Thanks for the info.

EDIT:

Yeah, I saw those posts and how they replied to your question was ridiculous. But as you said, it "may or may not" be malicious.
    Last edited by Google Spider; April 21st, 2008 at 09:55 AM.
    Do NOT run any command resembling sudo rm -rf /. It is the 10-character code of death

Beans

First time I heard about it. Thanks for the info.
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Google Spider View Post
    I always stick to the repos. Never heard of Quick start before looking at this thread. Thanks for the info.

EDIT:

Yeah, I saw those posts and how they replied to your question was ridiculous. But as you said, it "may or may not" be malicious.
    +1
    If you stick to the repos you dont need to worry
    Theres plenty of packages availible.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i recently came across 'testdisk' - its in the repo's (though you might need universe and medibuntu enabled, cause i dont know which repo its in). thats open source file recovery software, and its the one piece of software thats really, really impressed me! im telling everyone about it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have never heard of Quickstart, but am surprised that the developer doesn't want to answer your question cegpope, I have posted that I too am interested in the answer, strange behaviour on the developers part.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hmm if it is closed like Bill act like Bill send anonymous infor like Bill .. What is it ?
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It is a little suspicious at least, but I'd keep the tin-foil hats in the cupboard for the time being. It's worth investigating, I guess, so if anyone with the relevant know-how cares to monitor who QuickStart connects to, I'm sure a lot of people would be grateful for the info.

Anyone else worried about it, either just don't use QuickStart, or disallow it from connecting to anything.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast