Thread: The premature closure of a thread

Beans

The premature closure of a thread

The one in question is here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759164

I am inclined to think the Mod who locked the thread was of a religious disposition and took offence.

The thread was getting lively but imo not anywhere near the point to what constitutes closure.

LaRoza also quoted a poster in that thread who had instantly thrown the word "troll" at me for making the poll and being a new member.

Is there a rule on this forum that state "new members not allowed to make polls"?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: The premature closure of a thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonboots View Post
    The one in question is here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759164

I am inclined to think the Mod who locked the thread was of a religious disposition and took offence.

The thread was getting lively but imo not anywhere near the point to what constitutes closure.

LaRoza also quoted a poster in that thread who had instantly thrown the word "troll" at me for making the poll and being a new member.

Is there a rule on this forum that state "new members not allowed to make polls"?
    Laroza Said:

There are many polls here on the faiths or lack thereofs of the forum members.

This poll is likely just to start (as indeed it seems to be doing) a flamewar. Closed for review.

If anyone has a compelling reason for it to be reopened, post it in the Resolution Centre or Forum Feedback and Help.

He was quoting the first posters message, but he did not say you were a troll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moonboots: as said, you are free to post a compelling reason to re-open the thread here. As LaRoza pointed out, there are many similar threads (including polls), and everyone who has been around these forums for a while is aware of how they usually turn out.

If you believe that your poll is substantially different enough from others to deserve its own thread, please say why.

Also, the staff tends to be suspicious of users who sign up only to post in the off-topic areas. You may want to establish yourself as someone with questions or answers about Ubuntu or Linux before posting controversial polls.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I moved the thread here as it really is more of a complaint against a moderator than simple feedback on the forum or a request for help on how to do something.

The thread in question needed to be closed. It was nothing more than an open invitation to insult and flame.

Had it been started by someone who was a regular member of this community, we might have been a bit more lenient. Since it was started by someone with no posting history it was rightly assumed to be a troll. (By that I mean that was the best assumption for the staff to make as not allowing this sort of thing from people with few or no previous posts keeps our forums more friendly and prevents a lot of spam and genuine attempts to rile people up and start arguments by people who don't otherwise participate in the forums, not necessarily that the poster was trying to troll, although that is also possible.)

The right decision was made.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!