sudo fprint_demo
    but if I ran just
    Code:
    fprint_demo
    It would not work.

I tried the workaround of adding my user to the plugdev group and the I got
    Code:
    error loading enrolled prints
    This turned out to be because the /home/user/.fprints directory was owned by root, so I did
    Code:
    sudo chown -R $USER /home/user/.fprints
    it started working.

Is this correct, or have I opened a security hole?

Although fprint_demo works on my Tecra A9, it does report a couple of errors while scanning or verifying
    Code:
    upekts:error [read_msg] non-zero bytes in cmd response
    upekts:error [read_msg28] expected response, got -1 seq=0
    Both messages are produced for each action.

I get this every time the scanner is used, eg verifying your finger and enrolling your finger produce this error, but deleting a fingerprint file does not. Also on enrolling, I only get the error once, not three times.
    Thanks for the tip, I had the same issue

Code:
    error loading enrolled prints
    and I fixed it using your tip

Code:
    sudo chown -R $USER /home/user/.fprints
    but found what I think was a typo and it should read
    Code:
    sudo chown -R $USER /home/user/.fprint
    I also found that I had a better success verifying with a lesser used (worn) finger

I too however am concerned about security issues with chown of that folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Fingerprint reading in Ubuntu with fprint

There are some threads, like this one, I keep referring back to get things working the way I like. These instructions still held true for Kubuntu Lucid with a little help from here to find the right spot to add the change to common-auth using the directions under Ubuntu 9.04. You still don't really get a dialog, except in the terminal, but it works! Software Management just asked for my password and instead I swiped the finger... it worked. Security flaws aside, the laziness in me likes the fingerprint reader.

Beans

hello everyone.
    fprint worked for me fine but the thing gksu.py screwed my gksu
    plz help.here is i get
    Code:
    gksu update-manager
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/bin/gksu", line 26, in <module>
        import gtk, gksu2
    ImportError: No module named gksu2

Beans

I set this up, it worked perfectly for a few boot-ups, then when I logged in once, i could log in through scanning, but everything once i log in stops working with it and i get this error message:

Code:
    Found device claimed by AuthenTec AES1610 driver
    aes1610:error [dev_init] could not claim interface 0
    fp:error [fp_dev_open] device initialisation failed, driver=aes1610
    Could not open device.

Beans

this worked like a charm

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Definitively back up the original /etc/pam.d/common-auth file BEFORE messing with it. You might not be able to log in after reboot, if something is messed up. (and have to find/restore the file from a 'live-cd'... like I did, even though it seemed to work before reboot (tested with `qdbus org.kde.krunner /ScreenSaver Lock`*)) fprint is only version number 0.2-3 with some parts that are 0.0.6-2, ...

*Not a safe way to test, could get locked out and not be able to log in! It might be better to use a `sudo visudo` and add ', timestamp_timeout=0' to the 'Defaults' line, and pick a different command to try `sudo` with.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=113137
    Last edited by BryanFRitt; August 5th, 2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: some formating, and added how I tested fprint, a better way to test fprint with, and link
    One of my most wanted bugs [in K/Ubuntu, ...] I'd like fixed is that
    GNOME save as / open dialogs don't have a way to copy paths to the clipboard.
    p.s.
    Recovery console should be renamed performance gaming console

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Toshiba Portégé & Authentec AES2501

My main laptop is a Toshiba Portégé R205. This uses an Authentec AES2501 fingerprint reader. I think there may have been an "a" version and a "b" version of this:

http://www.authentec.com/products-pc...2501b-spec.cfm

Anyway, the Portégé is not listed in the link to "supported devices" at the start of this thread. In fact, there's only one Toshiba in that list, but, the AES2501 is listed more than any other device (in a couple of Fujitsu-Siemens machines, a Lenovo, and a whole bunch of HP machines). Can anyone tell me whether this means:

A) It is likely the AES2501 in my Toshiba will work with Ubuntu.
    B) It's impossible to say whether the AES2501 in my Toshiba will work with Ubuntu or not.

I'd love to install some flavour of Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Peppermint on that R205, since it's by far the laptop I use the most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and you'll probably also get straight into heaven for being nice to me when the time comes)!
    Intrepid User of Xubuntu & LXDE on:
    (1) Dell Latitude, CPi R400GT, PII 400 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 66MHz.
    (2) Toshiba Portégé 3490CT, PIII 700 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 100MHz.
    Both using NETGEAR MA521 Wireless PCMCIA (no issues!).

Beans
    Distro

Software review...

I got my finger print reader working following advice from the thread you're reading now (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=760018) and https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fprint etc...

Installed:
    fprint-demo 1:0.4+git20080303-0~ppa2~lucid1 (lucid)
    fprintd 0.0.0+git20090124-0~ppa3~lucid1
    libfprint-dev 0.1.0~pre2-1ppa1~lucid1
    libfprint-doc 0.1.0~pre2-1ppa1~lucid1
    libfprint0 0.1.0~pre2-1ppa1~lucid1
    libpam-fprint 0.2+git20080330-0~ppa2~lucid1
    libpam-fprintd 0.0.0+git20090124-0~ppa3~lucid1
    aes2501-wy 0.1-5 (lucid)
    python-pexpect 2.3-1build1 (lucid)
    gksu-polkit 0.0.2+git20100506-0~ppa1~lucid1 (lucid)
    polkit-kde-1 0.95.1-2ubuntu1 (lucid)
    libgksu-polkit0 0.0.2+git20100506-0~ppa1~lucid1 (lucid)
    etc...
    Dell Latitude D830
    fingerprint reader: UPEK Eikon 0483 2016 upekts
    http://reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Supported_devices
    lsusb
    ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader
    I was/am a member of the plugdev group

It seams weird for login/log back in to session, sometimes I could just enter my password, sometimes I had to do both, and other times all I needed was my fingerprint. It's definitely less secure now, than before, and not any easier to use. Is there any way to change this behavior? So I can control if I need to use both, or one or the other, for login, and/or doing commands that require sudo/kdesudo, etc...? Being able to chose which finger(s) need to swiped for use with login/sudo/kdesudo/etc... would be nice, or being able to set it to randomly pick one(or more).

Occasionally it would freeze the password box, and I'd have to hit 'Esc' and try again. Also after a successful login I have to hit 'Esc' a few times which is kinda weird.

Sometimes kdesudo items don't work the first time now, 2nd time starting them they'll work and when using them I'd get a prompt asking for my password again, even though I can continue using the software. (?related to first thing in this paragraph?)
    Last edited by BryanFRitt; August 7th, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added my finger print reader info, and I'm in the plugdev group
    p.s.

Beans
    Distro

Another safety tip for installing this software...

Before you start installing and messing with this software, you might want to open everything that you might need to open to repair things if things go wrong. (like if you can't use sudo, required to fix things)
    Before starting run:
    kdesudo kate /etc/pam.d/common-* & # remember to backup /etc/pam.d/common-auth
    kdesudo synaptic &
    kdesudo dolphin &
    sudo su
    ... adjust for your version of Ubuntu, preferred apps, etc...

see also my other post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9681014
    p.s.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Toshiba Portégé & Authentec AES2501

Quote Originally Posted by Kixtosh View Post
    Anyway, the Portégé is not listed in the link to "supported devices" at the start of this thread. In fact, there's only one Toshiba in that list, but, the AES2501 is listed more than any other device (in a couple of Fujitsu-Siemens machines, a Lenovo, and a whole bunch of HP machines). Can anyone tell me whether this means:

A) It is likely the AES2501 in my Toshiba will work with Ubuntu.
    B) It's impossible to say whether the AES2501 in my Toshiba will work with Ubuntu or not.
    Try `lsusb` and look at the device code section for your fingerprint reader, and compare those numbers to the 'USB Vendor ID' and 'USB Product ID' columns on http://reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Supported_devices to see if your device is 'supported'. My guess is that as long as those values match, you're 'supported'.
    Last edited by BryanFRitt; August 7th, 2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added last line
    p.s.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast