Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Fingerprint reading in Ubuntu with fprint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Fingerprint reading in Ubuntu with fprint

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    What do you mean by this? You mean your fprint is working? How did you solved it?
    No, my fingerprint is not working. This "up" means that I wanted the thread to go up on the forum and call attention to somebody who may have the solution.
    “Nothing happens by chance, my friend... No such thing as luck. A meaning behind every little thing, and such a meaning behind this. Part for you, part for me, may not see it all real clear right now, but we will, before long.” Richard Bach

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    What do you mean by this? You mean your fprint is working? How did you solved it?
    I have the same problem as you do.
    “Nothing happens by chance, my friend... No such thing as luck. A meaning behind every little thing, and such a meaning behind this. Part for you, part for me, may not see it all real clear right now, but we will, before long.” Richard Bach

Beans

Hello,

it works without problems on my HP Compaq 6710b with AuthenTec AES2501 device. Now I login to Linux with my finger

Thank you.

p.s: isn't possible to use it also for keyring manager?

Beans

hi, i followed this thread to get the fingerprint reader working. which it did. however, i didnt read all the posts that describe exactly what it did.
    so i thought it was going to just replace the login rather than now require name fingerprint and password.

i deleted the stuff that was originally in common-auth and inserted the stuff from the post. i was just wondering if anyone could help me out with replacing that original content so i could remove the fingerprint section.

i basically want to turn the fingerprint reading requirement off because other people use my computer frequently and i dont want to have to register all their fingerprints. so yeah. thx if anyone can help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Original content of your common-auth file woulda/shoulda been:

auth requisite pam_unix.so nullok_secure
    auth optional pam_smbpass.so migrate

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This is unrelated.. and probably shouldnt be in this thread.. however I came across this recently..

People that are using there finger print reader... here is some food for thought on security.
    http://www.ccc.de/biometrie/fingerab...ml?language=en
    http://www.ccc.de/updates/2007/umson...kt?language=en

now.. many of you will be using your finger print reader on your laptop.. how secure is you device that has your finger prints all over it? If your using your fingerprint for novelity or bragging rights.. awesome I did for a few months.. but anything that needs to be secured should not be done with your finger prints.
    Last edited by honeydew; May 23rd, 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the guide, I'm an idiot in linux so your guide helped me a lot. It worked for my Fujitsu S6310 with AES2501.

I'm using Ubuntu 8 and Gnome, just some problems... I don't know when do I need to scan the fingerprints. I enrolled all my fingers with fprint_demo, and I also enrolled with pam_fprint_enroll, I edited common_auth and appended the 2 lines below what I have in the file.

While login (with GUI), I cannot see anything prompt for my fingerprint, so I typed my lengthy password and then the login seems stucked, I swiped my fingerprint and then it prompted my for the password again (OMFG, I screwed the installation), I typed the password again, luckily I logged on the system.

And then I have problem in updates, I can see 1 update available. I clicked download on the update window and typed my password, the system frozen (seems waiting for something), I swiped my fingerprint, it came back to life and goes back to the update window with 1 update available, I clicked download again and the process just looped (click -> password -> frozen -> fingerprint -> back to life)

I just can't do any updates, any workarounds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Works like a charm. I just followed exact instructions on my HP 8710W with the Authentec AES2501 reader. I didn't need the extra permissions. I can now use it to log in, unlock my screen. Great! I enrolled four fingers on both hands. When unlocking my screen it consistently asks for the same finger. Is there a way of changing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Edit May 27, 2008. Since the installation of the fingerprint reader, the Update Manager hangs. It doesn't show the password pop-up screen, nor does it ask for a fingerprint. The only way of ending this, is killing the process. There are some posts saying the hosts file is incorrect. I changed the /etc/pam.d/common-auth file back to it's original state and the update manager works like before. Perhaps needless to say that fingerprint authentication is now disabled. Hope this helps someone.

Beans

Hi There,
    I'm relatively new to Ubuntu (8) although messing with linux distros for years.
    I have an HP Compaq 6710b and have got the fingerprint reader working - sort of.

Hears the deal - theres no message box asking for my finger print, if i'm quick enough then i can get a fingerprint logon instead. Is this as it should be or should i have a pop up box requesting a fingerprint first before the password.
    Is there any way of determining when a fingerprint is needed as synaptics and a few other things don't open atm unless i intuatively swipe my finger at the right time.

my current /etc/pam.d/common-auth reads:

auth sufficient pam_fprint.so
    auth required pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
    auth required pam_deny.so

Any info would be appreciated. Especially on how to get Ubuntu to tell me when it wants a fingerprint read (incidentally it asks for one in the terminal - although the time out is ridiculous)

Also can the timeout on the fingerprint reader be changed?

Thanks

PieEater

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast