Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XFCE without running Gnome in Breezy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: XFCE without running Gnome in Breezy

Glad it worked for you.

You can definitely remove Gnome but which parts can be removed can get tricky. Somebody else would be better qualified to tell you how to do that.

Plus (and this is just my opinion) there always seem to be tasks that are a real pain without Gnome. You're working along just fine in XFCE (or Fluxbox or WindowMaker or whatever) and you try to do something and realize that the only way you know how to do it is through some Gnome (or KDE) interface. Sure, you can learn how to do it from the command line but three or four sessions of how to do some relatively insignificant task without a Gnome GUI can irritate some people rather harshly.

Personally, I would leave Gnome on. The only reason I make use of the info in this tutorial is I'm playing with making a bootable CD that's fairly small and is heavily customized. For my regular desktop at home, I haven Gnome and XFCE and Elgihtenment installed. Mainly though, I use Gnome.

Soprry, I can't give you a better answer.
    Last edited by SFN; October 15th, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

I just did apt-get remove gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

That's interesting. As I said, I'm running Gnome. Looking in Synaptic, it would appear that the package titled "gnome" isn't even installed.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for this tutorial in installing XFCE without gnome. This has allowed me to install only the essentials on my computer, and not have to sift through Synaptic for an hour after installation is complete to remove all the extra garbage that was installed that I don't need.

I noticed that in your tutorial you manually installed synaptic and firefox. I noticed that both these programs were already installed when I rebooted to a graphical interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by reet
    I noticed that both these programs were already installed when I rebooted to a graphical interface.
    You're right. Looking at the xubuntu-desktop package, it looks like it installs synaptic and firefox. I'll update the instructions.

Thanks for catching that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

That's interesting. As I said, I'm running Gnome. Looking in Synaptic, it would appear that the package titled "gnome" isn't even installed.
    yes strange, isn't it?

when i want to remove this package i get:

Package gnome is not installed, so not removed
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

maybe i can uninstall gnome by removing separately every package it uses except the ones that are important, such as libs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by SFN
    Yeah, I just found out about that after this afternoon after I wrote that.

To be honest, I'm kind of wondering if this is even relevant with Xubuntu being a planned project now.

Thoughts, anyone?
    For the time being I'd say it's relevant. I don't think Xubuntu is that well known yet.

I saw you modified you post after seeing the reply. Frankly either way I don't think "x-winow-system-core" is necessary. XFCE4 or xubuntu-desktop is going to require it anyway, so it will be installed.

APT at it's best.

I'm a lazy typist, what can I say?
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder
    I saw you modified you post after seeing the reply. Frankly either way I don't think "x-winow-system-core" is necessary. XFCE4 or xubuntu-desktop is going to require it anyway, so it will be installed.

APT at it's best.

So it is. I've updated the instructions. That sure makes for a clean and quick install. One could say it's almost..."breezy"!

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder
    I'm a lazy typist, what can I say?
    Tell me about it. The whole reason x-window-system-core and synaptic and firefox were still in there is because I copied and pasted my original HOWTO.

I need to attend an "Attention to Detail" seminar.
    Last edited by SFN; October 18th, 2005 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Here's something I could use some help with.

In the instructions, you will see this:

(NOTE: It would appear that ivman is dying every so often at random. If you plug in a USB drive and it does not automount, just run "ivman" from the "Run Program" menu item like you did initially. Once I get this fixed, I'll update these instructions.)
    It turns out that ivman is just not starting back up after reboot. I've tried creating a startup script and placing it in /etc/init.d but that doesn't work. Not even when running that script by hand using "sudo /etc/init.d/ivman". I did find some instructions on the ivman page that say to edit IvmConfigBase.xml so that the value of "fork" is set to "true" if you are starting ivman at boot. Unfortunately, that setting makes no difference one way or the other.

Ideally, I'd like to start ivman at boot but just starting it upon login would be fine too. Anybody have any ideas?

I should add, if I replace "ivman &" with "gnome-volume-manager &" in the original instructions, gnome-volume-manager starts up upon reboot without issue. Perhaps that's the way to go here, for the time being.
    Last edited by SFN; October 17th, 2005 at 08:16 PM.

I have a question, I saw in one the the screenshots of Zenwalk Screenshot

And it seems that the taskbar is on the right part of the screen. I can seem to do that in XFCE in ubuntu. Can anyone help??? Thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast