Thread: HowTo: Install Comical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

HowTo: Install Comical

So for everyone who's having some SERIOUS issues either A) finding a Comical .deb that works (I sure couldn't-- all the links seem to be down or B) making Comical compile from source, this is my attempt at assisting those who went through the same silliness I did.

According to the Comical website, Comical is an easy-to-use, featureful GUI comic book viewer, written in C++ using wxWidgets.

It's also my personal favorite; sure, there are easy alternatives available in the software channel like QComicBook (A KDE app which, in gnome, is extremely buggy) as well as Comix, but I just like Comical, and I couldn't make it install for many many hours. Finally, I've got it.

I could not make version .8 compile no matter what. So, if you want this program, you have to go with the .7 version available here.

After downloading it, right-click it and extract it to the your home folder.

Open your command terminal.

Type the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libwxgtk2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-dev python-wxgtk2.6 zlib1g zlib1g-dev rar zip wx-common wx2.6-headers libwxbase2.6-dev python-wxversion libwxbase2.6-0 unrar-free unrar
    To be honest, I don't know if ALL of those packages are necessary.

Now, navigate to the comical source folder and then compile it with

Code:
    cd comical-0.7
    make comical
    If everything goes through without an error, you're good to go (finally!).

Type

Code:
    ./comical
    And enjoy your comics! ^_^

EDIT 5/2/08: Changed the extraction location to home folder instead of desktop so that the "cd" command would make sense for someone unfamiliar with the command line.
    Last edited by ACLBandit; May 2nd, 2008 at 01:04 PM.
    Say goodbye to the Blue Screen of Death-- Switch to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HowTo: Install Comical

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for comical 0.8.
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, ASUS P5L-VM 1394, GeForce 8600GT (PCI-e), WinTV PVR-150
    2. AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ACER FC51GM/Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS, NVidia GeForce 6100, Netgear WG311T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by mmcmonster View Post
    Thanks.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for comical 0.8.
    I know. Sorry...

...however, better than nothing, right? ^_^;
    Say goodbye to the Blue Screen of Death-- Switch to Linux.

Beans

Hey, I'm not sure if you guys are still following this thread, but I could use some help if you are. I've loaded all the packages, but when I run "make comical" I get alot of errors:

Code:
    `wx-config --cxx` `wx-config --cxxflags` -O2 -Wall -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DRARDLL -D_UNIX -Iunrar -c -o src/ComicBook.o src/ComicBook.cpp
    and

Code:
    src/../Comical Icons/comical.xpm:210: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
    Then, after several hundred of the second errors, I get the following errors:

Code:
    src/ComicalApp.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool ComicalApp::OnInit()’:
    src/ComicalApp.cpp:65: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct wxIcon’
    /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gdicmn.h:35: error: forward declaration of ‘struct wxIcon’
    src/ComicalApp.cpp: In member function ‘void ComicalFrame::OnGoTo(wxCommandEvent&)’:
    src/ComicalApp.cpp:401: error: ‘wxGetNumberFromUser’ was not declared in this scope
    src/ComicalApp.cpp: In member function ‘void ComicalFrame::OnBuffer(wxCommandEvent&)’:
    src/ComicalApp.cpp:414: error: ‘wxGetNumberFromUser’ was not declared in this scope
    make: *** [src/ComicalApp.o] Error 1
    Any ideas about why I'm getting these errors, or what to do to fix it? Thanks so much!

Beans

I'm having the same problem too, my best guess is that this statement is allowed on microsoft's compiler and not by gcc

Beans

Thanks a lot it worked fine for me!