Thread: Ubuntu Hype....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu Hype....

Marami sa atin ang "galit" sa Microsoft Windows. And we "hype" up Linux/Ubuntu and "force" Windows users to switch to Linux/Ubuntu. And though Linux is "great", there are some realities that we couldn't just ignore (hardware compatibilities, user capabilities, etc)...

I know many would argue about this, but let's face the truth and accept the fact, that many are being "deceived" by some who places Linux/Ubuntu as the "best" OS and Windows is the "worst".

If you have time, read this articles.....

Is Ubuntu For You?

Linux for Home User - Stop the Hype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Hype....

Well, here's the thing. Hate for M$ and love for GNU/Linux don't always go hand-in-hand. In these forums alone, we can find people who use Ubuntu as a development environment for cross-platform applications-- meaning, things that are OS-agnostic. That in itself says that the preference in using GNU/Linux as a production OS does not necessarily equate to hate for other OSes or platforms.

It's true that there are "realities" within this OS and these are acknowledged-- hence the existance of these forums. It is where users make problems known and others who know better try to help out. There is also Launchpad, where the connection between developer and end-user is more direct.

You say, "there are some realities that we couldn't just ignore (hardware compatibilities, user capabilities, etc)..." But I cannot seem to find any of your suggestions on how we can un-ignore these realities. This leads me to ask what the point of the first post really is. If it is simply to say the quoted idea, then rest assured that we here in the LoCo forum are aware of that idea.

Or maybe it is to enjoin us to not support GNU/Linux (and/or Ubuntu) any more since it has problems like Windows does anyway?

OP is very unclear.
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry kung hindi clear....

Well, been reading a lot of post here in the forums (not just Philippine Team) and stuffs on the net. And my point is, bakit madaming ipinipilit na "pangit" ang windows at "Linux/Ubuntu" ang "dapat" na gamitin because of "this and that" (parang windows is evil and linux is good). And I've been one of those person, and naranasan kong mag present ng linux sa isang windows user, pero biglang " toinks"....

I'm an Ubuntu user and planning to completely migrate to Linux in few months...

Apologies if my post didn't meet the standards....

Just ignore my post..... tnx....
    Last edited by dodimar; April 17th, 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ang hirap talagang mag-post ng walang tulog.... ang gulo... hehehe sensya na boss Samhain13...

Beans

dedmahin mo na lang kaya yang M$ hate at saka ubuntu hype na yan,
    alam mo naman siguro ubuntu hype doesn't equate to microsoft hate.

come to think of it, blogs and splogs doesn't really reflect the whole perspective of the ubuntu community let alone the larger FOSS community.

pansin mo ba? yung nagsasabing Ubuntu is the best OS "evar" and I hate M$ to the bone? kadalasan ay mga baguhang user din, napagana lang yung desktop cube eh kung ano-ano nang sinasabi.

kung minsan ay nahulog ka sa ganitong categorya , tumayo ka o umakyat ka uli sa mataas na antas

when evangelizing,lets not dwell on perfectness of the end all be all OS idea, lets just present practicalities.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Peace... hehehe.....

Mas mainam talaga i-"educate" mga users kesa daanin sa "effects and exagerated expectations".. naranasan ko na,, kaya dala na ako...... yung post ko po is reminder lang.. kung alam na natin ang tungkol dito... well the post is para sa mga di nakakaalam...

kaya misis ko, inuunti unti ko turuan ng linux... kasi once wala ng support ang windows xp, good bye na ako sa windows... di ako pwede mag - vista kasi di kaya ng system ko...

EDIT:
    by the way, di ako nag linux dahil mawawala na ang support ng XP...
    Last edited by dodimar; April 18th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yung 3rd party hardware, software ang magaling. Kung pag susuntukin mo ang dalawang Fresh installed na Ubuntu at Windows ay talo ang Windows. Laging nasa 3rd party yan, yung mga webcam nila, yung drivers nila, yung mga Photoshop nila. Tignan nyo yung vista, kung hindi naka pag produce ng matinong drivers at software yung mga 3rd party tulad ng Nvidia ay walang silbi.
    Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List
    http://ubuntuhcl.org/ post yours

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Toinks...

Beans

Nobody can "force" anybody to use this and that OS. However, it is common experience that many over- zealous Linux advocates give a utopian picture of Linux- a picture which is quickly torn apart when the beginner realizes that like any other OS out there, Linux is also flawed.

"hate" MS Windows? How can anyone hate an OS? Hehehe...personally "hate" is so extreme an emotion that only politicians deserve it. As far as OS is concerned, it is only a matter of "which works for me better".

"hate" Microsoft? Hmm...that's another story.

Beans

Use what works for you! 'Nuff said! Why mind the pundits out there. It's you using your computer and that's what matters
    Jerome G.
    Twitter: JeromeGotangco