Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Automating Gnome with Devil's Pie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Automating Gnome with Devil's Pie

Yes, after editing the confg file devilspie has to be restarted... I should add that to the Howto. Thanks!

Beans

I've just worked through your How-To (been a little busy last week).
    Man... This ist just awesome. I've looked several times for a really detailled description on how to use devilspie. Never found a good one till now.

Definitely one of the best How-To's here. Really nice work!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Thank you ! Great software and great How-to (I'm quite used to XML but it is so nicely written I've read everything though).

Beans

Wonder when/if someone will write a front-end gui for this to make it quicker and easier to do..
    [ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Sionide
    Wonder when/if someone will write a front-end gui for this to make it quicker and easier to do..
    Well, I *might* do a front-end (at least for me, first step). Let's say I've said nothing at all

manicka Guest

I have added this how-to, to the Ubuntu Document Storage Facility

Beans

Great howto, thanks.

Just a question. Where can I find documentation for the newer versions of devilspie?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by henriquemaia
    Great howto, thanks.

Just a question. Where can I find documentation for the newer versions of devilspie?
    documentation is incredibly lacking for all versions of devilspie including the latest one, I have found.

You are pretty much stuck with using the README file and reading src/parser.c. I never used the version this howto refers to which uses xml but I find the new S-expressions syntax to be much more concise and after you do a few you should get the hang of it. On the devilspie page, you can read some of the comments for the rewrite page. The author had a little blurb about the AND and OR options which I didn't find elsewhere.

Admittedly I only use devilspie to do two things, but a nice idea would be to start a new thread and post examples (which are also really lacking in the docs) of devilspie s-expressions and a description of what they do. Let me know if you are interested in doing this. We can probably learn from each other.
    Last edited by jrib; December 2nd, 2005 at 02:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _jason
    documentation is incredibly lacking for all versions of devilspie including the latest one, I have found.

You are pretty much stuck with using the README file and reading src/parser.c. I never used the version this howto refers to which uses xml but I find the new S-expressions syntax to be much more concise and after you do a few you should get the hang of it. On the devilspie page, you can read some of the comments for the rewrite page. The author had a little blurb about the AND and OR options which I didn't find elsewhere.

Admittedly I only use devilspie to do two things, but a nice idea would be to start a new thread and post examples (which are also really lacking in the docs) of devilspie s-expressions and a description of what they do. Let me know if you are interested in doing this. We can probably learn from each other.
    That would be a very good idea. Unfortunately, I'm the least qualified person to do that, because I'm just starting on devilspie (I knew devilspie, but never had it properly configured).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by henriquemaia
    That would be a very good idea. Unfortunately, I'm the least qualified person to do that, because I'm just starting on devilspie (I knew devilspie, but never had it properly configured).
    Well since at least one other person is interested I will create the thread so that we don't take this current thread offtopic. As soon as it is approved by a mod it should appear in the customization section with the title: "Devilspie (version 0.13 and greater) s-expressions examples".

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast