Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Automating Gnome with Devil's Pie

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Automating Gnome with Devil's Pie

This really cuts down on the time spent arranging windows when in gnome

Thanks for the .devilspie.xml file you gave me before in another thread Wolki!

Awesome guide, thanks.

Couple questions. When do you use the forward slash, and what's wrong with my flurb:
    Code:
      <flurb name="Terminal">
        <matchers>
          <matcher name="DevilsPieMatcherWindowName"/>
            <property name="window_title" value="eric@motherland:"/>
    	<property name="window_role" value="gnome-terminal-8739-454923534-1129609311"/>
          </matcher>
        </matchers>
        <actions>
          <action name="DevilsPieActionHide"/>
    	<property name="skip_tasklist" value="TRUE"/>
          </action>
        </actions>
      </flurb>
    I use Alltray for my terminal, and I don't want it in the window list when I have it opened. When trying to run Devilspie with this, I get this error:

Code:
    ** (devilspie:7587): WARNING **: Could not parse configuration: Line 27 character 65: Only <matcher> elements are allowed inside <matchers> not <property>
    Last edited by souled; October 19th, 2005 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by souled
    Couple questions. When do you use the forward slash, and what's wrong with my flurb:
    Forward slash at the end of a tag only if there's no tag that closes it. Usually only for <property ...... /> lines, so remove them from your <matcher .... > and <action .....> lines. I copied the debug flurb without explanation from the sample file, I'll update that section later.

gnome-terminal's window_role seems to be unique to the window, so your matcher won't work probably. It's best to create a profile in gnome-terminal for the tray and disable the dynamic window title for that profile. Then match window_title against the profile title, and window_role against "gnome-terminal".
    Last edited by Wolki; October 19th, 2005 at 01:28 AM.

Ok. I've got the syntax stuff straightened out, but I have another problem. I can get the terminal to bypass the window list, but when I send it to the taskbar using AllTray, and then make it visible again, the window appears again in the window list. Why does this happen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Note: I added the part on closing tags and switched to a slightly easier way of using the debug flurb; so check these new parts if you've already read the howto.

Quote Originally Posted by souled
    Ok. I've got the syntax stuff straightened out, but I have another problem. I can get the terminal to bypass the window list, but when I send it to the taskbar using AllTray, and then make it visible again, the window appears again in the window list. Why does this happen?
    Hm, i tried it myself and wasn't able to get alltray to put things into the tray on Breezy. :-/ So i can't really check what the problem could be,

Did you use the matcher I described in my previous post? If you want all your terminals to not appear in the window list, you can skip creating a profile and matching against window_title.

Yeah, I disabled the dynamic title, and just made the window "Terminal." However, when you dock it with AllTray, the name in the window list becomes Terminal (AllTray). I set the window-title value to Terminal (AllTray), and it does bypass the window list when I run Devil's Pie. I just have the problem of it coming back into the window list when I open it after docking it in the taskbar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What a tasty pie this is .
    I'm gonna look into this the next time I'm bored. Seems handy. Thnx for the HOWTO

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

ok, its working but moves the application from where I tell it to go to the active workspace, any ideas?
    bam

---------------------------
    Zaurus, then the real thing....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by bam
    ok, its working but moves the application from where I tell it to go to the active workspace, any ideas?
    Can you post the relevant section of your .devilspie.xml?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

after restarting gnome it seems to work now, maybe the config just needed to be reloaded?
    bam

---------------------------
    Zaurus, then the real thing....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast