Thread: portaudio

Beans

portaudio

Hi,

Im trying desperatly to get portaudio working so i can write audio programs. Im trying the tutorial from
    http://www.portaudio.com/trac/wiki/T.../Compile/Linux to compile a simple test program. I can write ok programs but dont know a lot about linking, libraries etc. I tried this:

Code:
    mick@mick-laptop:~/audioprog$ gcc -lrt -lpthread -o testsaw patest_saw.c libportaudio.a
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_util.o): In function `PaUnixThread_New':
    /home/mick/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:338: undefined reference to `floor'
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_oss.o): In function `PaOssStream_Configure':
    /home/mick/portaudio/src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c:1151: undefined reference to `ceil'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Then When I try to include alsa:
    Code:
    mick@mick-laptop:~/audioprog$ gcc -lalsa -lrt -lpthread -o testsaw patest_saw.c libportaudio.a

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lalsa
    I dont know much about alsa or oss either,

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Mick.

Beans

Re: portaudio

You'll need -lm (math) first of all, in order to use floor and ceil. A quick 'man floor' will show that it's in that library.

The alsa error is probably just because you don't have the libalsa-dev package installed. But that said, you shouldn't need it to compile portaudio programs. Portaudio itself is linked with alsa, so you don't need to do it yourself (unless you also use some alsa calls directly, but that kind of defeats the purpose of portaudio!)

Beans

Hi,

Thanks a lot, thats it working!. ok i get you mean about libalsa aswell

Cheers,
    Mick.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elmick View Post
    Hi,

Thanks a lot, thats it working!. ok i get you mean about libalsa aswell

Cheers,
    Mick.
    i dont know what you mean about libalsa, I have installed libasound, libasound2. but it return
    Code:
    please help me asap

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forent View Post
    i dont know what you mean about libalsa, I have installed libasound, libasound2. but it return
    Code:
    please help me asap
    When you say -lalsa, you're telling the compiler to link the program you're compiling with the alsa library. To do that, you need the alsa headers - i.e. the stuff in the -dev packages.

libasound lets you *run* programs linked with alsa. libasound-dev lets you *compile* programs that are linked with alsa. If you're writing a portaudio program though, in most cases your program isn't linked (directly) to alsa - it links to portaudio. So you probably don't need to link to alsa at all. Try just getting rid of the -lalsa line entirely.

If it turns out that you do need to link to alsa for some reason, then you have to install the -dev alsa packages.

Hope that's a bit more clear!

Beans

i have try everything to make portaudio run well.
    i run this code
    gcc -lrt -lasound -lpthread -o testing paex_saw.c libportaudio.a
    and it return
    Code:
    root@ubuntu:~/Documents/portaudio/Project# gcc -lrt -lasound -lpthread -o testing paex_saw.c libportaudio.a
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_util.o): In function `PaUtil_GetTime':
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:163: undefined reference to `clock_gettime'
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_util.o): In function `PaUtil_StartThreading':
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:184: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_util.o): In function `PaUtil_CancelThreading':
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:205: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:203: undefined reference to `pthread_cancel'
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_util.o): In function `PaUnixThread_Terminate':
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:441: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:437: undefined reference to `pthread_cancel'
    libportaudio.a(pa_unix_util.o): In function `PaUnixThread_New':
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:305: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
    /home/rifkiwijaya/Documents/portaudio/src/os/unix/pa_unix_util.c:371: undefined reference to `floor'
    when i test /portaudio/bin/patest1 it return
    Code:
    root@ubuntu:~/Documents/portaudio/bin# ./patest1
    patest1.c
    Ring modulate input for 20 seconds.
    ALSA lib setup.c:565:(add_elem) Cannot obtain info for CTL elem (MIXER,'AC97 2ch->4ch Copy Switch',0,0,0): No such file or directory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
    ALSA lib setup.c:565:(add_elem) Cannot obtain info for CTL elem (MIXER,'AC97 2ch->4ch Copy Switch',0,0,0): No such file or directory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround41
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround50
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround51
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround71
    ALSA lib setup.c:565:(add_elem) Cannot obtain info for CTL elem (PCM,'IEC958 Playback PCM Stream',0,0,0): No such file or directory
    ALSA lib setup.c:565:(add_elem) Cannot obtain info for CTL elem (PCM,'IEC958 Playback PCM Stream',0,0,0): No such file or directory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
    ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
    ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
    Press any key to end.
    ALSA lib pcm.c:7339:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
    Expression 'err' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 3281
    Expression 'ContinuePoll( self, StreamDirection_In, &pollTimeout, &pollCapture )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 3808
    Expression 'PaAlsaStream_WaitForFrames( stream, &framesAvail, &xrun )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4180
    i have include portaudio.h and all file in portaudio/include but it still can't fix that help me please..
    Last edited by forent; April 6th, 2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: additional Hint

Beans

You'll probably need to add -lm to link to the math library which has 'floor'. Also, put the libraries at the end of the command - for some reason, gcc cares about the order!

Try:

Code:
    gcc -o testing paex_saw.c libportaudio.a -lrt -lasound -lpthread -lm
    By the way, I haven't actually tested the above line - I don't have this stuff on my computer right now, since it's been ages since I used it, but I expect the above line will work better.

Beans

wooow.. it works...thanks a bunch...

Can't do this without you jaddle, thanks...
    Thanks ubuntuforums.