Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Hi,

By chance...

this thread matters only xorg, but for xfree86 ??

Would someone knows whether there is something similar to composite for xfree86 or if it can be done ?

because
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
            Option  "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    doesnt work

thx
    How to install LINUX for Newbies, here my Website !!
    cvscedega quick install [4]
    Debian Stable, Etch = High Stability and no bugs
    Ubuntu (based on sidux, unstable Debian) for a quick introduction to Linux

Beans

This worked well for me except for one problem.

I'm using the latest version of Dapper Kubuntu and drivers for my NVIDIA Geforce FX. I made the changes in my xorg.conf file and enabled transparency in Kcontrol. Then I ran Unreal Tournament 2004 and ran into problems:

* The startup animated movie sequence in the game is slow.
    * I run the game once in a session and have no problems. If I run the game again in a given session, there is no sound for the game.

Is there a solution for this other than turning off transparency in Kcontrol before playing the game? Are there run parameters in Kcontrol that will toggle transparency...so I can add it to Kmenu and do this automatically whenever I run UT2004?

BTW, I love the drop shadows. They are damn sexy.
    Last edited by jdunn; August 29th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's too slow for me. NVIDIA Geforce4 MX ( Well quite old I know ).

I'd had to spend a lot of money to get really accerlerated working, while most of the effects are enabled. So, nice to know this, still _far_ slow.

I switched from ATI to NVIDIA and had no single problem while installing....

Beans

Well here we are...1 1/2 years after the original post by Poofy Hair Guy. I have to say that there are much fewer bugs than there were back then. I can run the KDE desktop with awesome looking drop-shadows and transparency on Dapper flawlessly for days...provided I don't play full-screen OpenGL games like Enemy Territory or UT2004.

Sorry but among my other hobbies on the computer, I'm a gamer...so as awesome as the drop-shadows look, I had to ditch composite mode. Its just not ready for prime-time, yet.

Beans

Help!

I followed the composite manager "How To" written by PHG and used KDE's built in manager to try out transparency and dropshadows. Then, I played ut2004 and enemy-territory fullscreen at 1024x768 (my desktop res is 1280x1024). Since then, I've had wierd X problems which have persisted even after I disabled composite mode. Here are the problems:

* Sometimes I have no sound on ut2004 or enemy-territory
    * Every time I exit enemy-territory, my desktop resolution comes up as 1024x768
    * When I end a KDE session and return to the login manager, the login manager screen is 1024x768

How do I fix these problems? They don't seem to be in xorg.conf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Eeek, hey poof, if this ever gets stable (you scared me off with your disclaimer) let me know!

Beans

I get some problems:

After I add the stuff to my xorg.conf-file (the "composite" or something at the start) and restart X, I am unable to move any window or anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Just a note to let you know that this worked great for me, with little fuss. Those am some right sexy dropshadows. Neat!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

And Now, Not so much.
    I tried to install the gcompmgr, and it seems to have hosed my Package Manager. Errormessage (E: The package for gcompmgr needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.)

Any tips on how to make this error go away? I don't care if I don't get gcompmgr working, so long as I can unbreak my package manger.

Beans

Last edited by ajm2005; December 7th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast