Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Is this bug really gone? I'm using the latest driver from the dapper repos (8756) and everything seems to work fine except for the fact that every time I try to logout, the screen locks completely.
    If this is the bug where the logout window does not appear (because it's actually invisible), then I think this bug is not gone. At least, it happens to me.

But there's a workaround. You can disable the Ubuntu logout window and use the vanilla gnome logout dialogs instead. (My experience here is with dapper -- might not apply to breezy.) To do this, open up gconf-editor and navigate to apps-->panel-->global. Then check "upstream-session". Restart the panel and you are all set.

The panel's System menu should now have two entries for "Log out ..." and "Shut down...", each of which puts up a simple dialog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

mannheim,

You are my hero.

Your workaround worked perfectly.

In case anyone is interested, this has already been reported as a bug for ubuntu:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...ion/+bug/24221

and also upstream in GNOME:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=157822

although it still remains unconfirmed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I can also confirm that the logout bug is also present when using the 8756 drivers.

However, I can't use mannheim's workaround because the said option is not present in breezy. =|

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Despite using the -C option, my gnome-panel still has a shadow. This is particularly disconcerting because I keep my panel at the top, which casts a largish shadow on even the active window's title bar.

Any idea what's wrong? Or is this the proper behaviour?

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there any way to exclude certain programs? IE: Gdesklets, I don't want drop shadow on them since they are supposed to be transparent the shadow forms around the transparency.

Beans

combine this with 3ddesktop... fading out to the selector makes it look amazing!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

How do I enable the composite manager in Metacity? It does not show it listed in gconf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

didn't take me long to get the effects working. but when i configure it using gcompmgr, then save to gnome session, the next time i log in the panel isn't there. i have to go into gcompmgr, switch off xcompmgr, then start it again for the panel to show up and for the drop shadow effects etc to show. if i delete it from gnome session, i've noticed that the next time i log in, xcompmgr is still running because the background of cairo-clock is transparent, but there are no effects such as drop shadows etc. i guess i'll work it out eventually.
    using fedora core 5, i haven't had my system crash when using xcompmgr yet. mine seems to be really stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ketsugi
    Despite using the -C option, my gnome-panel still has a shadow. This is particularly disconcerting because I keep my panel at the top, which casts a largish shadow on even the active window's title bar.

Any idea what's wrong? Or is this the proper behaviour?
    I have the same problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by MichaŽlVD
    I have the same problem...
    it seems to be very temperamental. sometimes theres a shadow...sometimes not.

also, i have no problem using this in my root account(on fedora), but i can't for the life of me find out a way to have the effects enabled when i log into my root account. it just doesn't seem to want to. if, using gcompmgr, i stop xcompmgr, then start it again, i get the effects such as drop shadow etc. but that seems to be the only way. when i log into root, the effects are there, but the panel is gone. i've got round this by adding 'gnome-panel' to sessions so that the panel also shows up along with the drop shadow effects etc.

Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast