Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by dartmusic
    For now I'm going to wait a few more weeks for the stable Dapper release and try compiz, but for now I need to disable all of this stuff so as not to constantly be disrupted by lockups and such. Do I simply remark out the two new lines that were added at the end of the xorg.conf file? Is there something else? I'm running this on an HP zd7000 series notebook with an Nvidia video card.

Thanks again.
    Yup. Just comment out the "Composite" "Enable" bit, and don't try to load xcompmgr
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Great...thanks! (But, just to confirm: I'm running KDE, so there is no loading of xcompmgr, correct? I just turn off all transparency in the settings?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the procedure 'PHG'.
    It works for me on a compaq evo n620c with ati radeon m7 7500.
    I am running dapper if that makes any difference.
    firefox doesn't seem to crash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by dartmusic
    Great...thanks! (But, just to confirm: I'm running KDE, so there is no loading of xcompmgr, correct? I just turn off all transparency in the settings?)
    Again, yes
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm running the latest version of the NVIDIA drivers (8756) on an AMD64 but my logout window does not show up. Can It be fixed?

Also make sure you purged nvidia-glx or it might start complaining after a few reboots about something like fbmmx when starting Xorg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I installed xcompmgr following the howto on a computer with the nvidia drivers installed from nvidia and a GeForce FX 5200. It worked and looked great. However, I didn't disable the xscreensaver and left my computer for a bit. When I came back the xserver had crashed and I was back at a login screen. I then uninstalled xcompmgr and set the xorg.conf file back to the way it was. Now the xscreensaver still crashes the xserver, and so does any other software that uses GL. For instance running glxgears crashes the xserver. There are two possibilities here. One is that something else was modified and not reset properly in the install/uninstall process. The other possiblity is that running xcompmgr and GL software at the same time burned out the GL part of my video card. Considering the smell of fried electronics that was coming from my computer I think the latter is the case. I will do more testing and see exactly what the problem is. Has anyone else experienced this? In any case I think that there should be a warning in the howto that you may damage your video card using xcompmgr in combination with GL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I reinstalled the nvidia drivers and now GL works again. It seems that if GL software runs while xcompmgr is running that the nvidia drivers are corrupted. Or something...
    Last edited by glennric; April 21st, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, people are still using this guide? Must be popular. Or is it that Breezy is no friend of xgl and compiz ?
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quoting the original post:

Second Bug: When you try to logout in Gnome, it seems to crash!

THIS BUG IS GONE WITH NEWEST DRIVERS AND NVIDIA CARDS!!!!! DANCING IN THE STREETS!!!!!
    Is this bug really gone? I'm using the latest driver from the dapper repos (8756) and everything seems to work fine except for the fact that every time I try to logout, the screen locks completely.

EDIT: I'm on Dapper and using a card with the GeForce2 MX/MX 400 chip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks Poofyhairguy...

Gcompmgr makes playing with Xcompmgr alot more fun...

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast