Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff250
    Great guide. I was wondering: How can I disable the default Metacity window maximize/minimize effects? I know that I can using gconf-editor and toggling /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources, but this also enables wireframe windows when you're moving them, which is pretty ugly looking. The default metacity behavior when maximizing/minimizing windows is interfering with my effects.
    I've since discovered a way to disable the cheezy Metacity minimize effects without causing wireframe windows upon move:
    First enable:
    /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources
    Then enable:
    /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
    I haven't exactly noticed any other effects yet of enabling the accessibility, but it does disable the wireframe windows when you move them.
    EDIT: See this post for a potential problem!

Instead of xcompmgr, I'm also now using Metacity with kompmgr, KDE's compositor. With Cairo effects and a Clearlooks theme on top of this all, Metacity is definitely looking great!
    Last edited by Jeff250; February 3rd, 2006 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Instead of xcompmgr, I'm also now using Metacity with kompmgr, KDE's compositor. With Cairo effects and a Clearlooks theme on top of this all, Metacity is definitely looking great!
    Good call. I just tried it an it kinda works well. I now officially suggest using this to get ones drop shadow fix.

How to do it? First of all go to my Knome guide and install Kwin like I tell you to there. But don't do the parts that replace Metacity. Instead start kcontrol with the command "kcontrol" and set up the settings just like you want (be sure to turn on "translucency/shadows" with the checkbox. When you have the drop shadow and fading as you want them, use this trick in metacity with this command:

kompmgr

I do not recommend this for anyone that does not REALLY need Metacity as it offers almost no features that xcompmgr does not also offer. You don't get the cool translucent Gnome Panels this way (which really start to grow on you after a while), you don't get the window border translucency, you don't get the improvements of overall use (aka you still have to kill the gnome panel).

But if all you want out of compositing is drop shadows, then use kcompmgr over Xcompmgr. I might ever gut that part out of my guide....
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro

Now that I've got Metacity's cheezy minimize effects disabled, the compositor fading on minimize works flawlessly as well. Menus, tool-tips, and other various pop-ups like Amarok's OSD also fade nicely. Closing a window doesn't fade though, probably because without the foresight of a window manager with built-in compositor (such as kwin) to keep the window open for the fading effect, it just closes immediately and this prevents the fade from being able to occur, but I don't really mind this.

Using kwin itself undoubtedly had better graphics effects options over Metacity. But it was just really messy, having to use two different "control panels" and trying to guess which one had "sovereignty" (if not both of them, which was even messier) over a certain setting. I also was never able to solve a bug where KDE apps like Amarok and Kopete would not put their icons in gnome's notification area on the panel. They were probably trying to use KDE's panel (which I believe is called "kicker") which wasn't available, even though I was using kwin.

So I'm satisfied with my current Metacity solution, which compromises graphics and ease of use in a way that is suitable for my tastes.

I'm also running Dapper, so I don't know to what extent that affects my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I'm not sure if this is just specific to me... I've noticed within this thread and outside of it that alot of people are complaining about e17 and xcompmgr/kompmgr. Just letting you all know that the latest cvs of e17 and xcompgr/kompmgr is 100% stable for me... using it full time and it's bliss!

heres a screenshot with some gnome love:

Beans
    Distro

I've since discovered a way to disable the cheezy Metacity minimize effects without causing wireframe windows upon move:
    First enable:
    /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources
    Then enable:
    /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
    I haven't exactly noticed any other effects yet of enabling the accessibility, but it does disable the wireframe windows when you move them.
    Gr, I've noticed one potential bug: Hitting "Apply" in the "Apply the following changes" dialogue in Synaptic seems to cause Synaptic to crash. This is with the latest version of Dapper. Can anyone else confirm or deny this bug who might be using Dapper or Breezy? It seems that by disabling /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility (for me at least), logging out, and then back in resolves the issue.
    Last edited by Jeff250; February 3rd, 2006 at 02:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just bought a nvidia 6600gt going from a R9500PRO, This is really cool and works great. Although I'm using KDE, No crashes so far. (Have only been running it for a couple of hours)

I read through the bugs at the end of the post, I did experience some artifacts when running kaffeine (I'm running it with xine because I want DVB support) however when I changed to xshm video driver in xine it disappeared. Transparacy affects the movie too. The CPU usage went up a little but not much, From 13% to about 20% (This is while decoding a TS stream) Maybe this is just when using KDE but it could be worth a shot.

No openglscreensaver crash bug in KDE either, and Firefox works great. I don't now about games because I don't have any installed yet.
    Last edited by Rizado; February 12th, 2006 at 08:42 PM.

Beans

I apologize if this has already been mentioned but I don't really have the patience to read through this entire thread to check and see if this has already been posted.

But I believe I found a bug involving conky.

If conky is running on the desktop the shadows that shoudl be on the desktop wallpaper go away when conky refreshes. The shadows remain on other windows , but if the shadow falls on the desktop it goes away when conky refreshes. If I close conky this goes away. I haven't found a work around, and I don't plan on trying to . I like shadows more than I like conky.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the tip, Jeff 250. I've got the Intel 955GM chipset (I believe virtually the same thing you have). But when I try to install the latest cvs from freedesktop.org (the common DRI package and the i915 drivers package) I get errors:

The DRI drivers can not be installed without the latest kernel modules.
    Installation will be aborted. See the dri.log file for information on
    what went wrong.
    My first impression is to think, do these bleeding edge cvs builds only run on a bleeding edge kernel?

Does anyone have any more details on installing these, or general tips on getting it to work with Intel integrated chipsets? The effects are really cool but they are slow enough that they're counterproductive for me. I do a lot of window switching and waiting a second or two for the alt-tab dialog to come up or for my web pageto scroll is really annoying.

No crashes yet--my screen just gets a bit lazy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deception
    Great job! Just would like to add if anyone experiences the "overlapping of the gnome-panel by applications".. just type "killall gnome-panel" in a terminal

Thanks poofyhairguy
    Does anyone have this bug "overlapping of the gnome-panel by applications"
    When I do the "killall gnome-panel" I lost the bottom panel, it is very annoying?
    (I have the latest nvidia drivers)

When I used this command at startup "xcompmgr -fFcC" sometime the top and the bottom panel are not visible?

Is it because I am on breezy, does it work better on dapper?

I am little disappointed on the stability of this!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Did you install that xcompmgr file linked in the first message. I think there might be issues with others, also, there can be a few issues due to different kernels, graphiccards etc, I had similar issues on my other computer with its geforce mx card.
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast