Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzCrazed
    Just FYI... Things seem to work well on my Acer Aspire 3002LCi using an SiS Mirage chip! I don't know whether that's accelerating it, or whether my Sempron 2800+ is powerful enough to do it on its own (I know that driver support for SiS Mirage is lacking). Shadows run really fast, though, and the window acceleration is pleasurably noticeable. Fades are too sluggish to use, though.
    Its all your CPU. As I said, if you have a fast one drop shadows are fine. I'll define that better.

But unless you have smooth fades (really smooth) its being done by the CPU. Either you lack an Nvidia card, or the driver is not installed right.

Thats why I bought the Nvidia card. I only like the fades, and without and Nvidia card they won't work!

[/QUOTE]
    Also, sometimes when I started up xcompmgr with the appropriate commands, the Gnome panels wouldn't show up, and I'd be forced to restart GDM. Since I added xcompmgr to my startup options, I haven't encountered that problem again.[QUOTE]

Do this command next time (trust me):

killall gnome-panel
    Ultimately (meaning, after about an hour of straight use), I ended up turning off shadows because the panels also get shadows, and the shadows overlay all the other windows - which is annoying when I have a window maximized (the shadow is cast over the window's title bar). The disappearance of the annoying ugliness when dragging windows is welcome change, enough!

Thanks for this howto!
    No problem. I don't really like the drop shadows. Since xcompmgr is a hack, they do not look natural like in Vista/OSX. By KDE 3.5 I think that side will be fixed though.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't stay away from xcompmgr :/
    Poofy awesome script, one bug about killall gnome-panel though is that it doesn't seem to reload everything into the tray. I had amarok, xchat, and gaim all in the tray and only gaim came back up D:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seethru
    I can't stay away from xcompmgr :/
    Poofy awesome script, one bug about killall gnome-panel though is that it doesn't seem to reload everything into the tray. I had amarok, xchat, and gaim all in the tray and only gaim came back up D:

I can confirm the bug. Darn!
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I really like all this stuff but its just too much trouble.

I seem to remember P.H.Guy doing a thing of replacing metacity with e-17 in hoary a while back. Will you be doing another "how to" for that with breezy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xingmu

Anyways, my big question is what the original poster meant by saying that xorg is moving in a different direction than composite. What direction? What will be seeing for eye candy in the future?
    I was wondering the same thing, is there going to be same kind of effects done by xorg itself? (don't know if this is stupid question, i'm still noob)

Beans

I love the shadow effects done by xcompmgr. I hate the fading effect. It feel like a joke that just wastes time to me. But I suppose that is because my Second OS is Mac OS (X). aka, I can also use Mac OS's before that....

Anywho, xcompmgr rules for useability in that respect! The Mac OS 9 themes even without realtime shadows at least did a fake drop shadow. A lot of Gnome themes don't and are a pain in the @ss on the eyes that way.
    Last edited by pizzach; October 21st, 2005 at 06:57 AM.
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by hesee
    I was wondering the same thing, is there going to be same kind of effects done by xorg itself? (don't know if this is stupid question, i'm still noob)
    xorg 7 will have exa, which from my understanding, is built in composite.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by seethru
    xorg 7 will have exa, which from my understanding, is built in composite.
    I see... Does anyone happen to know if there's any time schedule for xorg7, couldn't find it from xorg website? Surely we should have impressive and stable "Vista" effects before Vista users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hesee
    I see... Does anyone happen to know if there's any time schedule for xorg7, couldn't find it from xorg website? Surely we should have impressive and stable "Vista" effects before Vista users

Here is info:

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/X11R6970ReleasePlan

Remember to not get too excited. Once the foundation is in place it will take a little time for the software and drivers to catch up. I might buy a ATI 9200 just because I hate waiting (then nvidia sits on shelf, lol), and switch to KDE (of course I think KDE will use it better first).
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pizzach
    I love the shadow effects done by xcompmgr. I hate the fading effect. It feel like a joke that just wastes time to me. But I suppose that is because my Second OS is Mac OS (X). aka, I can also use Mac OS's before that....
    Thats funny, because now when I use Apples I think "they are pretty, but they can't do the awesome fading effect my Linux box can do."

Anywho, xcompmgr rules for useability in that respect! The Mac OS 9 themes even without realtime shadows at least did a fake drop shadow. A lot of Gnome themes don't and are a pain in the @ss on the eyes that way.
    E17 has those nice fake dropshadows.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast