Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

This thread is ridiculously long, so I didn't parse the whole thing looking for it, but I thought I'd at least mention that for me, turning on xcompmgr broke Flash in Firefox and caused it to crash every time a page with Flash was loaded. I have an NVidia card and was using the recommended command from the HOWTO.

That being said I had to turn xcompmgr off ultimately because it was so unstable on my system. The system would crash or the Xserver would restart at the most random and inopportune times. Having the drop shadow effect was cool, but not cool enough to risk me putting my fist through the monitor because the paper I was typing was completely lost. I can't wait until this is more stable, but for now I'm going to have to leave it off.

Beans

Me again
    I was amazed of the idea to have only the current active window without opacity and all the others transparent because i use the "Select windows when mouse moves over them" option in the gnome Window Preferences.
    Using this, i can work in one window and if i want to see whats behind in another, i just move the mouse over it and can look through it
    anyways, i wrote a small C programm to do exactly this:

http://81.169.175.95/transd.c

compile and run with:

gcc transd.c -o transd -lX11 && while true; do ./transd; done

its very badly programmed (most of the code is stolen) and needs a lot of values tweaked, but please try it out and tell me what you think!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@maxtreiber

Yes, indeed, that little programm is nice

It leads into the right direction!

Beans

Does everyone experience Xorg using an average of twice / three times the CPU cycles it normally does when using composite? Does this mean composite is utilizing the GPU only marginally at the current state of things?
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Does anyone get "jiggling" artifacts on left and right edges of window when dragging it from side to side. This happens on my system with geforce 6600gt and 1.6ghz athlon xp using "nvidia" driver. It happens with or without shadow and transparency turned on. It's quite annoying. The strange thing is that it only happen when dragging window horizontally, but not vertically.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oobuntoo
    Does anyone get "jiggling" artifacts on left and right edges of window when dragging it from side to side. This happens on my system with geforce 6600gt and 1.6ghz athlon xp using "nvidia" driver. It happens with or without shadow and transparency turned on. It's quite annoying. The strange thing is that it only happen when dragging window horizontally, but not vertically.
    I have it on my laptop with a Geforce Go6200. It happens without xcompmgr as well, unfortunately. I can't pinpoint what it is; bad vertical refresh rates shouldn't matter much on LCDs but this is quite noticeable.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pxgray
    This thread is ridiculously long, so I didn't parse the whole thing looking for it, but I thought I'd at least mention that for me, turning on xcompmgr broke Flash in Firefox and caused it to crash every time a page with Flash was loaded. I have an NVidia card and was using the recommended command from the HOWTO.

That being said I had to turn xcompmgr off ultimately because it was so unstable on my system. The system would crash or the Xserver would restart at the most random and inopportune times. Having the drop shadow effect was cool, but not cool enough to risk me putting my fist through the monitor because the paper I was typing was completely lost. I can't wait until this is more stable, but for now I'm going to have to leave it off.
    What's your hardware? It would help to know. Flash works fine for me, but I too have experianced crashes that has lost my work.

I hope my warning to everyone early on was clear- xcompmgr is buggy. No way around it. I hope by this time next year any of the compositors are stable enough to use full time.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Does everyone experience Xorg using an average of twice / three times the CPU cycles it normally does when using composite? Does this mean composite is utilizing the GPU only marginally at the current state of things?
    That means the current acceration architexture sucks. Nvidia rushed out their competition to EXA- thats what we are all using. When EXA is fully developed (say 2007) these problems will be a memory.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oobuntoo
    Yep. Even without xcompgr it will do that. In fact, the only system I know that doesn't is OSX's system. Thats because they built in from the ground up to make it SEEM as responsive as possible.

That problem is part xdamage and part buffering problems. I honestly don't think it will be fixed till we moved to Xegl in two or three years.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

For all who are having flash problems:

I found a trick on the gentoo forums (*gasp*) on how to fix these firefox crashes. (All composite effects still work with firefox and flash if you do this, don't worry.) Try this with any program you think may be having problems.

First, open up your firefox launcher file with the following:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/bin/firefox
    Find the part that looks like this:
    Code:
    ##
    ## Variables
    ##
    MOZ_DIST_BIN="/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox"
    MOZ_PROGRAM="/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin"
    Add a line, making it look like this:
    Code:
    ##
    ## Variables
    ##
    ##Added for composite extension to work
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    MOZ_DIST_BIN="/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox"
    MOZ_PROGRAM="/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin"
    Flash will no longer have any issues. This makes firefox ignore the extra alpha channel that xcompmgr gives it for color. Because the application itself doesn't do anything with the alpha channel, all of the effects still work, and flash will no longer complain.

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast