Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

I still have the logout bug with the new version as well. I'll report about overall stability a while later. Btw, my favorite setting is
    Code:
    -cfF -D9 -r14 -O 0.02 -I 0.040
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    I still have the logout bug with the new version as well. I'll report about overall stability a while later. Btw, my favorite setting is
    Code:
    -cfF -D9 -r14 -O 0.02 -I 0.040

The fade on yours (I might steal that one day) is nice, but the drop shadows are crazy.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Right, the shadows may be a bit big but they look good to me on a high resolution display. By the way, I've only had one crash with the new xcompmgr in more than 48 hours, which is a big improvement over the old one. And I did all sorts of crazy things such as resizing the gnome panel, dragging and dropping files onto the bmp playlist, launching totem and switching to virtual terminals

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Right, the shadows may be a bit big but they look good to me on a high resolution display. By the way, I've only had one crash with the new xcompmgr in more than 48 hours, which is a big improvement over the old one. And I did all sorts of crazy things such as resizing the gnome panel, dragging and dropping files onto the bmp playlist, launching totem and switching to virtual terminals
    I can only make it crash if I drag a playing video file (in Totem) under my translucent Gnome panels. Then it hard crashes.

Otherwise stable.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a couple of questions.

1st my stats:
    Ubuntu
    Dell Inspiron 2200 with onboard GFX
    Celeron 1.4
    786megs memory
    xcompmgr -cC -t-2 -l-3 -r3 -o.35 -f -D3 is the command I use.
    Using xcompmgr from repos

Heres a screenshot of what it currently looks like.

Very minimal shadows. Just enough to give depth.

1. Can you exclude apps from xcompmgr? ie: gDesklets
    2. When I 1st boot it takes 2 mins for my session apps to come up after xcompmgr is loaded. Any way to speed this up?
    3. On my nVidia system I get artifacts on the desktop. They vanish if I move a window over the area to refresh it. Ever seen this?
    4. Can I make xcompmgr -cC -t-2 -l-3 -r3 -o.35 -f -D3 into xcompmgr -cC -t2 -l3 -r3 -o.35 -f -D3 and still work?

Great job on this man. Thanx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

anyone could help me , i tried doing this vista like thing
    and now at boot i get error "starting x server failed, possible ....
    x server now dissabled, restart gdm when all is reconfigured"

and than it get's to a command line

how do i reset all to default from this command line?

Beans

MetalMusicAddict:

1. No, but IIRC gDesklets had a translucency option in its configuration; disabling that may help.
    2. Play with the order setting or launch xcompmgr manually after session startup
    3. Seen it, but no longer seeing it with the latest version except some slider artifacts in totem.
    4. Try it; if it works it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tipi
    how do i reset all to default from this command line?
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    remove the following section

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
    	Option	"Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    hit ctrl+x, and then y.

Beans

Merci a lot for that HowTo Poofyhairguy.
    Just followed the instructions on page 1 of the thread and got nice shadows and transparency with my xfce4 desktop.
    Later today I'll try it on my gnome desktop after installing xcompmgr then I'll do it on my Gentoo KDE distro too.
    Now that I get the composite manager installed and running, could someone please be kind enough to tell me how to use that feature ?
    So my question is :
    How do I adjust the transparency level in xfce4 windows ?
    Any URL, tip , info or R.T.F.M. advise is welcome.

Just tried it with gnome:
    sudo apt-get install xcompmgr transset
    So far, so good.
    Maybe I'll encounter some bug when running some specific application.
    And yes, I installed that feature on Gentoo ( 64 bits version ) too.
    Ubuntu and Gentoo rock
    Last edited by Biased turkey; November 13th, 2005 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have an old Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop with ATI Rage Mobility M3 display card (16 mb memory). Though this card doesn't have enough muscles (or it is a driver problem) to run composite manager (tested it!) here is an useful hint.

This laptop has 1400x1050 LCD screen. By default, Ubuntu runs it in 32-bit colors mode without direct rendering mode enabled. Direct rendering speeds up window handling a lot.

The display card doesn't have enough video memory to run direct rendering in 1400x1050x32. You must drop color depth to 16 bit by modifying your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Rage Mobility M3 (AGP)"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" # doesn't work with Mobility M3
    Option "AGPMode" "4"
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
    Option "DDCMode" # doesn't work with Mobility M3
    Option "RenderAccel" "true" # doesn't work
    Option "SubPixelOrder" "NONE" # doesn't work
    Option "ColorTiling" "false" # doesn't work
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Rage Mobility M3 (AGP)"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 16 *** here***
    SubSection "Display"

If direct rendering is enabled you should see the following line in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled
    Last edited by mikko.ohtamaa; November 14th, 2005 at 03:41 AM.

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast