Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any program for bad eyesight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

any program for bad eyesight

hi .
    i just wanna ask if there is any programs in ubuntu that helps peopel that can barely see.
    i have already the settings in window all to 23 in font size. however all seemed to be ok yeasterday but then i installed supertux
    becouse i was kinda bored around the evening and i wantede to play a bit supertux.
    ( yes i know i am way old to play supertux)
    but than i had to install the restrited drivers and aafter restating the computer the fonts where incredebely small.
    why they suddenly are i dont have an idea.
    i have such problems reading the fonts in firefox and i have as example tried to get an account whit the laroza learning to program forum . i can hardly read distorted code you have to fill in first. then after 3 days i can see that the forum has resgisterd me. i have no mail notification and i have not been able to get in whit the password. so i have probely given both bad email adress and cant login becouse i have enterd the wrong password. stuff like this happens all the time for me now. i am getting really sick and tired of this. is there some programs suitable for peopel whit really bad eyesight.
    this is really something that is getting a bit too frustrating. in windows xp there was some fetures that i did not have to use back then . but i suspect that there is something a bit more thourgtfull designet programs for this in the ubunut packages repos.
    any one have a suggestion.
    i would relly be gratefull if i could find something.
    i use my comupter all the time.
    thanks .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: any program for bad eyesight

did you try to use orca just under system-----preferences-----universal acces-----assistive technology peferences then choose prefered applications choose the tab accessibility and here you see the option visual

click down here and you see orca with magnifier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By chance you keep Compiz Fusion enabled you can use the zoom or magnifier plugins.
    @friartuck: There is no "Universal Access" tab in System -> Preferences (though one can enable it in their Applications menu) so the path would be System -> Preferences -> Assistive technologies.
    Last edited by Sephoroth; April 14th, 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I've moved the thread to " Assistive Technology and Accessibility Discussions", where you might get better help.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

you are right my friend must be the monday night alcohol session

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmay View Post
    i have such problems reading the fonts in firefox ....
    there is an extension for firefox called "no squint" that may help you:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592

Beans
    Distro

forgot to mention...it will even remember settings for individual sites...useful if you find some sites whose fonts are smaller than usual.
    Last edited by fooman; April 14th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My brother finds the zoom plugin for Compiz Fusion helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi.
    thanks for the reply
    i dread the the day i have to get a laptop to work whit.
    i have a screen the size of a small tv set. and all the settings put to as large as it is not too big too see .
    anyway i will try to see if this compiz / orca is of any help .

i use my computer alot and i use it for both writing and makin music and almost my whole social life from time to time.
    i would not be able to live whitout it in the moment. so i really wanna get this problem fixed.

anyway i think i will reply back somehow if i find any solution that is right on the spot whit this.
    i read in the ubuntu examples that ubunut filosofi is that everyone no matter language or handicap should be able to use it for free.
    so i think it could be nice to see as many peopel reporting back of this being true . course i will read this treadh first . i did not know there was a such treadh.

thanks a lot for the help .
    i mean it really thanks a lot .

ps
    monday alcohol sessions ?
    try out tuxtyping for a real good laugh.
    this poor penguin looks so utterly amusing that you dont need any alcohol to get a coupel of hours of ha ha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello, cmay.

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

I also have very low vision, and I use the eZoom plugin which is in Compiz Fusion, and I turn on a feature for mouse-pointer scaling which makes the mouse pointer increase in size if you zoom the desktop. It si extremely helpful.

if you have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on your system, you can install CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) to make setup a bit easier for you.

Please let me know what version of Ubuntu you are using, and maybe I can help you to get all set up.

If you have ever used programs such as ZoomText or Magic on Windows, (in my opinion) Compiz Fusion's eZoom plugin blows those programs way out of the water. It makes my life a WHOLE LOT esier. This was the thing I was waiting for to completely switch to Ubuntu, and when it arrived in v7.10, I jumped off of the Windows canoe and finally got myself a yacht.

Anyhow, take care, and please write back and et me know if I can be fo any help to you.
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast