This modules is included in the Ubuntu distribution in linux-modules-restricted. It provides support for wireless devices that use the Atheros chipset, such as, say, the D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650.
You only need to rebuild this module if you recompile the kernel in such a way that the version changes. You should change the version if you recompile, else Ubuntu's upgrades will stomp on your image.
- Make sure networking is set up so that you can apt-get update.
- Login as root
Code:sudo -s #enter password
- Get what you need to compile the source
Code:apt-get -y install build-essential bin86
- Compile the module
Code:cd /usr/src wget http://madwifi.otaku42.de/madwifi-cvs-current.tar.gz tar -xzf madwifi-cvs-current.tar.gz apt-get -y install sharutils cd /usr/src/madwifi make clean make make install
- If you are about to reboot anyway, no need to do this (but you can anyway to test your work so far)
- Make the change permanent
Code:gedit /etc/modules # add line at end "ath_pci"
- Configure your new ath0: under System->Administration->Networking, and enjoy!